Chapter Seventy Two

Spencer's POV

        "So yeah, once the Ghost was officially gone, Yelena convinced me to help her on a few missions. I try to go on as many as I can. But I do still have tattoo appointments I have to keep. Can't let the people down and all that. And well, that's what I've been doing ever since. That's pretty much everything, I guess. Oh, and I do still have the stone. Don't worry, it's safe," I conclude my story.

      It feels good, I suppose. Weird. I just told the people that I have been trying to avoid most of my life of the reason I was hiding from them.

      It's freeing and entrapping at the same time. Almost like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders but I feel a heavy one on my heart instead.

     I don't know what to expect, but right now they're all just kind of looking at me. Some look like they're deep in thought, others have an unreadable expression. But none of them are speaking.

      I thankfully feel Nat's arms tighten around me ever so slightly and I take comfort in knowing she's with me.

     My eyes find Yelena and she gives me a smile but it's apparent that the quiet has her on edge as well.

      There's people I'm worried about because I befriended them and they may now believe I betrayed them, which I can't be mad about.

     There's those that I'm worried about because they don't know me and might only see the Ghost.

      There's some that may feel I used them.

      Some people fall into multiple categories.

      But there still hasn't been a reaction yet, so I'm just plain getting worried now.

      I don't know if they expect me to say more or..?

      "Well. Damn," Clint finally breaks the ice. "You've been through some shit, Spencer."

      I let out a soft chuckle, "uh, yeah. I guess so. But we all have our pasts and we're all responsible for our own actions. Though I haven't always been in control of my life and actions, there is plenty that I have been in control of. I'm sorry I didn't see better sooner."

       "Spence.. I," Tony is trying to speak now. He takes a moment, using his right hand to cover his eyes then runs it down his face. "I am so sorry.."

       "You're sorry? For what? She still did what she did. She still hurt people. She still broke the law. She was still the Ghost," Steve spits out. I guess he's still bitter.

        "Okay. I'm about two seconds away from throwing you out the damn window, Cap," Tony growls at him.

        Steve scuffs, "I'd like to see you try."

        "I wouldn't be so sure of yourself twinkle little star. I don't think I'd be the only one willing to kick your ass," Tony's anger is becoming apparent.

       I don't know what to do. I didn't want to divide them. I didn't think I would divide them. I didn't think they'd be so conflicted as to turn on each other. The last thing I wanted is for them to fight each other.

————————————————————————

                                       Nat's  POV

        Here we go. Steve still has a stick up his ass and Tony is up to bat for Spencer. Everyone else is staying quiet for the most part. Seems Clint is sympathetic, though.