Chapter Seventy Three

Nats POV

       I feel like I can breath again. Spencer is in my arms. She's okay. Everyone is seemingly accepting of her past and willing to move past it, seeing her for who she is now instead of what she did.

      That is, until Tony asks, "so, does anyone else want to say anything?"

Why did he have to ask that?

"Actually, I was kind of hoping I could speak to Spencer. Alone." Carols eyes drift over to me as she says the last word.

The anger that builds up in me..

"Um, yeah. Okay," Spencer agrees. She agrees!

"Good," with a short nod, Carol starts walking out of the room and we just watch in silence as she does.

Spencer turns in my arms to face me. I don't want to look at her. I almost can't. But I do.

"I'm sorry, Nat. But, I think I at least owe her this," Spencer says as she kisses my forehead. She then stands up and follows Carol out of the room.

I am taking deep breaths to try and keep myself calm. It's not working.

What is Carol going to talk about?

Is she going to go all captain marvel on her ass for being the Ghost while they dated and not telling her? Is she going to flip shit and say Spencer used her?

This makes me worry because I want to be there to protect her. I want to stand in front of her and take whatever Carol might throw at her. I know I can't, but I really want to. I need to.

Or maybe she's going to tell her how none of that matters. And now that she knows the real reason she had to leave, she understands. That she believes she didn't cheat.

That she still loves her.

That she wants her back.

And my heart really can't take that. The pain that explodes in my heart makes me grasp at my chest with just the thought of it.

I can't take it.

"Nat. Hey. What's going on? Are you okay?" It's Yelena.

"I just can't.."

"It's okay. It's okay."

Next thing I know she has me wrapped in her arms and I'm crying into her shoulder.

"It's going to be okay, Nat. They're just talking. Spencer cares about you. I've seen the way she looks at you. You're going to be alright," Yelena whispers to me as she knows my concerns before I voice them.

I just hate that I'm falling apart in front of everyone and I can't stop. I hate that I have no control over what is happening in the other room. I hate that it's already breaking me.

I hate that I might be losing Spencer.

————————————————————————

Spencer's POV

I walk out of the room with the avengers and take a deep breath. I know this is far from over, but those responses make me feel better.

       Until I remember I have to talk to Carol now.

       Whatever it is she wants to yell at me, I'm sure I deserve it.