Chapter One Hundred Twelve

Nats POV

Thankfully Nebraska isn't very far from New York. Especially when you have a jet.

We approach the location of the necklace, but know it's probably best we park this big thing a ways away and out of view of anything that might come by. Luckily we can cloak this thing to have it blend in with the surroundings.

Before we land, Steve comes up besides me.

"You okay, Nat?"

I look at him like he's an idiot. Because, seriously? "My girlfriend could be injured. Or captured. Or lost. I have no fucking clue right now. So no, I'm really not okay."

"Right. Sorry."

"No, I am. It's just frustrating not knowing what's going on and that I could have missed her."

"If she's here, we'll get her back. If she's somewhere else, we'll find her then bring her home. Okay?"

"Yeah."

Then everyone started to gather around us as we were near the door. I looked around at everyone, grateful for their support and knowing they want to make sure Spencer is safe, too.

"Thank you. For coming. I know you didn't have to and I rushed you. And I know we don't really know what we're getting into, so.."

"I'm sorry Nat, I have to ask and I hate to be the one to bring it up, but you don't think this could be a set up?"

I'm about to kick America's ass. "Are you fucking serious? Spencer would never.."

"I don't even mean Spencer. But what if someone has her and is trying to use her to draw us out?" He's lucky. Might have just saved himself a lot of pain.

"Who would do that? No one knows who she was and everyone thinks who she was is dead," I challenge. Not that I think he's totally off base, more just questions that would need answers in order to explain any of it.

"I'm not sure. But it isn't something that's totally out of this realm. I just want to make sure we're walking into this prepared."

          "I know. And I know I kind of rushed this. But this is Spencer. I don't know what's waiting for us. But we're the avengers, right? We can take whatever comes at us," I try to give a little pep talk like Steve. He's better at them.

          "Why don't I go out ahead and give it a look?" Tony suggests.

          "I like the idea of someone checking but are we sure you and your shiny suit are the best for the job?" Bucky asks.

          Tony gives him a look. "I can scan from a distance and get an aerial view. Unless you just want to go in there blind?" Tony comes back.

          "Woah. Let's not even start. This is serious. Spencer could be in trouble. I know I haven't worked with you guys that much, but is it always like this?" Yelena speaks up.

         "More often than it should be," Clint tells her.

         "Yelena is right. This isn't a joke. Spencer could be in real danger. Let's be smart about this. Tony, if you think you can safely check the area without setting off any warnings, go for it."

         "It would be my honor, cap." Tony's mask comes down over his face, and he exits the jet.

         As we wait for Tony to tell us the coast is clear, Yelena comes over to me and brings me into a hug.