Chapter Sixty Nine

Nats POV

"Oh, uh.. sorry. Was I interrupting something?" Bucky asks. Must be he saw our expressions. Or mine at least.

      I know Spencer has a big heart and it's got to be killing her on the inside to sit here and talk to her old friends with this huge secret. It must feel like a ginormous weight on her shoulders for her to want to talk to them about the Ghost.

      But, I have to support her. If this is what she wants, we'll tell them. At least Yelena and I are here for support and in case anything goes wrong. Which I am highly hoping nothing does.

      But we are talking about a bunch of enhanced people here with big egos and even bigger opinions. There's no telling how this will go.

       I realized I sort of phased out of the conversation as I see a bowl of soup placed in front of me.

       I look up to see Bucky gingerly placing the bowl down and stepping away. "Thank you, Bucky. It smells really good," I try to reassure him that I'm fine. I'm trying to be.

     "You're welcome. A bunch of us are going to watch a movie later tonight if you want to join us. I don't know if you're able to leave yet, but if you are, we'd love to have you both there." Bucky smiles, only looking at Spencer as he talks.

      And yes, I'm a bit jealous. I know I don't have to be, but I can't help it. I don't want anyone to look at Spencer. Especially not in the way I do.

      Me? A bit possessive? Nah.

      She just gives him a warm smile back and responds, "yeah! I would love to. Next time Bruce comes around I'll see if I'm cleared to go. Thanks again, Buck."

      "You're welcome Spencer. And I'll send Bruce your way if I see him! Enjoy the soup."

     "I already am," Spencer yells as Bucky is walking away. I then notice she has hers half gone. I chuckle, not surprised in the least.

     Once the door is shut and we're alone again, Spencer looks at me with those puppy dog eyes. Damn it.

     "I know you are probably against telling them tonight as it's kind of just surprising them with no plan on our end, but I really need to do this. I can't keep this from them any longer."

     I take a deep breath. "I know. It's not ideal, of course. But I don't know if it ever would be. Yelena and I are here for you, so let's tell them."

     Her smile lights up her face as she hums in happiness, continuing to eat her soup.

     I eat mine, enjoying her company and the calm we have before the storm that's to come once we tell everyone tonight.

—————

     It seemed like it had been awhile before Bruce was knocking on the door but I hadn't minded; it was more time spent alone with Spencer.

    "Come on in, Bruce," I half shout.

    He peaks his head in and asks, "I heard you wanted to see me?"

    "Yeah. I was wondering when I could get the heck out of this bed," Spencer says.

    "Ah. Well, you should be alright to leave. We were pretty much just waiting for you to wake up. But let me check your charts to be sure."

      We wait a few minutes as Bruce does whatever he has to do. I see Spencer tapping her fingers on the side of the bed as she usually does when she's waiting around or nervous. I don't think she notices, but it's adorable.