Where it all began - Chapter 1

Today, February 7th.

-So? Have you decided what you're gonna get him? - Your friend asked you, hearing a long and dragged sigh right after.

-I don't know, Maya. I'm thinking about that for the last two months, and I can't come up with anything. - You say running your hands over your face. Your friend makes a sad face, not knowing how to help you.

-What about that game you said he wants? - She asks and you look at her.

-Yeah, it could be, but... - You click your tongue. - I wanted something that could change everything. Something that could impress him and make this date different. - You say as your friend stares at you.

-Look... Don't get me wrong, okay? You know I want the best for you. - Maya says and you arch your eyebrow, curious about what's coming. - You say you want something special as a gift, but... Don't you think you want something that could change him? - She says and you look down.

            Yes, you know that. It's something that you have never talked about with anybody, but your friend knows you too well. And at this point, she wouldn't even need to know you that well to see it. Everybody is already aware of how your relationship is declining.
            You and your boyfriend, Julian, have been together for 2 years now, and you wanted to make him a surprise for Valentine's Day, which is in a week. Even though you got a lot of work to do, you separate today to find him something special.
            You two know each other since a long time ago and it was like the destiny got you together when you were accepted for the same university. You for the Veterinary course and he for the Law course. And after not so long, he asked you out.
            An year later, things started to get difficult. Your internship began as well as his, and, for some reason, Julian became a completely different person. He was not the "so lovely boy" who was comprehensive and calm, but a cold and, sometimes, verbally aggressive person. You opted to giving him some time. Maybe he was stressed due to work and studies and needed some space. As the time went by, you got used to the fact that he was another person. You didn't want to give up on him like that.

-Let's... not talk about that for now. - You say and your friend shrugs. You were trying to anesthetize yourself, but the problem is that it comes a moment when or the anesthesia ends or you get an overdose.

-Okay, okay. Good luck with the present. See you later, Y/n. - She says waving at you. You give her a hug and say goodbye.

            Standing up from the table, you walk by the mall accepting that there's no such present that can do what you want to. Sighing, you turn around and go to the game store. You buy the game, which you didn't think that was that expensive, and an idea crosses your mind. You could make a surprise for him at his house! ''Yes! I think he would feel happy with that. Maybe I can bake a cake and put some balloons in his room as a surprise... Yes. I'm gonna do that.'' You think with a smile on your face.
            After buying everything, you decide to call him to see if he is home, so you can let everything hidden there and make a surprise in a week. The phone rings for some seconds. ''Uhm... Maybe he is sleeping.''

-Hello? - Julian answers the call.

-Hello, baby! Are you home right now? - You ask.

-Uhm... No. I'm at university right now. I'm studying. Why? - He asks and you smile.

-No, nothing. Just wanted to know if you want to meet tonight. - You say and he thinks for some seconds.

-I'm not sure if today is a good day, baby. I have many things to review and I will rest later. - He says and you look down.

-Ok. No problem. See you... another day then. Love you. Bye - You say.

-Okay. Bye, baby. Love you. - He says and hangs up. You force yourself to forget the way he didn't want to meet you today and focus on the main objective: make a surprise for him.