New Family - Chapter 18

-Mom! I didn't know you would... arrive now. – Jeno says and his mom straightens her eyes in a suspicious look. Entering the house, she and the little girl take their shoes off. – This is Y/n. She is, uhm... a friend from the university. – Jeno says and you smile looking at her. "Have I come in a bad moment?" You think with yourself.

-Hello, miss. Nice to meet you. – You say bowing at her. She glances at you, scanning you from head to toe. She turns to Jeno again and sighs.

-What is she doing here? – She asks in a low tone. You feel suddenly nervous about the question. Have you made something wrong by coming with Jeno to his house? Maybe you have given the wrong impression.

-We came to practice together. My practice room at the university is in use. – Jeno says and his mom looks at you again.

-So, she is your dance partner. – His mom asks and you look at Jeno again. – I told you I don't want you doing this here, Jeno. – She says walking to the kitchen. You simply look down, not knowing what to do. Jeno clicks his tongue and follows her.

-Mom, please. Don't talk like that. Y/n is helping me with my choreography. – Jeno says in a low tone so only his mom could hear. She looks at the forgotten teas on the counter already cold.

-Yeah. I noticed how she was helping. – She says and Jeno tightens his fist. – It's not my problem, Jeno. You are a grow up man. You know how life works. If you want to make the same mistake again, it's your choice. – She says, not looking at him.

-She is not from the dance course. She is only helping me because my previous partner had a problem. – Jeno says.

-Yes, they are always like that. You know too well. I just hope that what happened years ago doesn't happen again. – She turns around and looks at him. – I don't think I can handle it again, Jeno. – She says staring at his eyes and he goes silent.

            Meanwhile, you are at the living room. Jeno has just left to the kitchen with his mom. You feel nervous because she didn't look very happy to see you there. It was not your intention to give Jeno problems. "Maybe I should leave..." You think. "No, but it would look impolite. Maybe I should say that I'm sorry and then leave." You think again. Looking at your side while thinking, you see the little girl staring at you. You stare back for some seconds and then sit in the couch.

-Hi... – You say, but the girl doesn't answer. – Uhm... what's your name? – You ask her. She is holding a stuffed dog in her hands while Lily sits beside her.

-Are you my brother's partner? – She ignores your question. "Oh, so she is his little sister."

-Uhm... not exactly. I am his friend from college. Your brother asked me to help him for a moment, so I'm helping him. – You say. The girl pauses for a moment, looking at your face.

-If you are dancing with brother, you are his partner. You're lying. So I don't like you. Go away! – She says and you open your mouth surprised. It looks like nobody wants you there.

-But... uhm... I'm not his partner. Actually, I'm a veterinarian. – You say and the girl furrows her eyebrows.

-An animal's doctor? – The girl asks, a little taken aback.

-Yes! I see you like dogs very much. – You say pointing at her toy. The girl looks at it and then hide it a bit. – I also like animals very much, so I study veery hard to take care of them. – You say waving your hand so Lily could come to you. The dog stands up and runs to you, licking your face. The girl seems to be more interested now. – What's his name? – You say pointing at the toy.

-It's a girl. – She says.

-Oh, sorry. How do you call her? – You ask again.

-Jenny. – She says and you laugh internally. "Is it a coincidence that it looks very much like Jeno's name?" You think.