XLVI

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus teases Stefan as we walk up the mountain of Tennessee where Ray's pack has been hiding. Stefan is carrying an unconscious Ray over his shoulder because Klaus didn't want to carry him.

He's a diva.

"I'm fine." Stefan mutters out.

"You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down..." Klaus continues to tease Stefan with a smirk on his face.

"You know, I get that we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great." Stefan gives him a fake tight, while I listen to them bicker again.

It's been part of the 'routine'.

"So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend." I sigh at Klaus' words which makes him turn towards me. "What's wrong, partner? Haven't seen you sigh this much since we started our road trip." Klaus states.

"Not even 100 years would be enough to tell you everything that is wrong." I glare at Klaus, making him crack a small chuckle at my words. "Thankfully, I'm a vampire now. I can start complaining until I annoy you and you hopefully kill me, ending my misery of having you around."

I'm tired and it feels like we've walking forever and I'm hungry.

"Ah, come on, love. You wound me. Haven't you enjoyed one bit of our little rendezvous around the country?" Klaus says with a pointed look and I shrug my shoulders even though I have enjoyed being away from Mystic Falls.

"Maybe it's 'cause we're a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer." Stefan pipes in as Klaus strolls through the mountain in front of us.

"But thanks to our friend Ray, we found ourselves a pack." Klaus states, looking at all the werewolves in front of us with a victorious smirk.

"Finally." I mutter.

The werewolves are too involved in their conversations and packing their tents to notice our arrival. We walk further into the camping area and I smirk when everyone immediately stares at the three of us.

Stefan throws Ray to the ground like he's a sack of potatoes, making everyone gasp at the dead looking body and whispers about what is happening can be heard.

"Ray! Oh, my God. What's going on?" A girl shoots the question at us, running over to him to try and find his pulse, before looking up to glare at us. "Who are you!?"

"The important question is who am I." Klaus steps in front of Stefan, making it all about himself like usual. "Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus."

They all look at us with terrified expressions and the girl takes a few steps back. "You're the hybrid." She states and Klaus smiles smug with himself.

"You've heard of me. Fantastic." He pauses then he looks over at me, a evil smirk on his face. "And I hope you've heard of my friend. The doppelgänger legend. May I present you, Selene Petrova."

"It's impossible." The girl gasps, looking me up and down.

"Well..." I take a step towards the women with my hands held out as I indicate to myself but she backs away since she's scared, like they usually are of me. "...we live in a world where witches, werewolves and vampires exist. Nothing is too impossible. Not even a thousand year old tale of a doppelgänger who is more powerful than you can imagine." I look over my shoulder to see Klaus staring at me with a impressed look on his face.

"It's fascinating, actually. A werewolf who isn't beholden to the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. A vampire that has powerful gifts and isn't a witch. A true hybrid." Klaus sighs, changing the subject back to himself.