LIV

I feel a presence behind me and I sigh, turning around to spot a dangerously furious Klaus standing at the doorframe and I smirk at his expression.

"Klaus, what's the matter, sweetie? Missing something? Maybe a coffin or two? Stefan thought it was the best way to celebrate his freedom." I comment, wanting to get under his nerves for some reason not having woken up on the best mood.

He strolls closer to me and I stand my ground, the both of us glaring at each other. "I will kill him, you and everyone you've ever met."

I shrug, raising my eyebrow with a sarcastic smile which angers him even more as he clenches his jaw. "Well, I'm an original. Unless you have a spare dagger... good luck. I wonder, someone who has been one step ahead for a thousand years... I bet you didn't see that one coming."

He speeds me against the wall with his arms on both sides of my head, the two of us standing a mere inch away from each other, breathing in the same air as he leans down closer to my whisper in my ear.

"I'm not in the mood for your sarcasm, Emma. Where is it?"

"I don't know." I answer, pushing him away from me and I take a few steps away from him, letting out a sign I didn't know I was holding since I didn't like how close we were standing to one another.

He sighs, nodding his head as if telling me that he believes me for some unknown reason. "Where's Stefan?"

"I don't know. Last time I saw him, he got his neck snapped after telling me he stole your coffins." I answer truthfully, leaning against the wall as we stand on different sides of the room.

"He did it for you."

"Did he?" I snap back, raising my eyebrows as he simply stares back at me. "I didn't ask him to. He says it's for my freedom, but really, we both know what he wants."

"What is it that he wants?" Klaus asks with a frustrated sigh.

"Revenge. You took everything from him. Drove everyone to hate him. Took away his freedom, his humanity and clearly his logic to think things through." I point out, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Where was he hiding the coffins?"

"It don't matter. They're not there anyone and neither is Stefan. Stefan was going to get Bonnie's help to hide it elsewhere. I just came back from his hide out, it's empty." I inform him, his stare burning my face as I look away from his intense eyes.

"Emma." He calls out and I look at him, frowning at his soft tone. "I want to give you your freedom. I don't want to force you to be around me. But you do understand that after everything I did to you, I might be a bit skeptical you might team up with them and use your gifts to kill me."

"You're not skeptical. You're paranoid. We both know I could take you out without my gifts." I point out, causing Klaus to crack a smug smile and I narrow my eyes at his expression.

"Oh, sweetheart, but you can't kill me."

"I can still hurt you." I say, licking my lips before walking closer to him as I speak. "Although, I can reassure you I wouldn't waste my freedom on wasting more time to find a way to kill you."

"Why not? You hate me."

"I don't hate you, Klaus." I sincerely say and he seems taken back by my words. "I know. Shocking. But... hate would mean I'd have to care about you in the first place."

He steps closer to me again and brushes my hair as he looks deep into my eyes and I stare back at him. "Who are you fooling, Emma?" He leans down, a mere inch away from my lips. "You can have your freedom back."