XVII

I jump up in bed, gasping for air and I look to my side to see a peaceful Damon. My head snaps to the window when I hear it crack and that's when I notice that it's open.

I get up and walk over to the window to shut it, making sure that the other windows are locked as well. We don't need anymore scares for the night, especially after two vampires tried to attack the Salvatore brothers, while I was taking a shower.

All of the tomb vampires are free and two of them tried to attack Damon and Stefan. They killed one of them but the other got away and now Damon wants to kill all of them without an actual plan.

Thankfully, I managed to convince him to go to sleep and talk about it in the morning.

"Hey, you okay?" I turn around to see Damon with half an eye open, observing my every move. "It's late. Why are you up? Did you have a bad dream?" Before he can carry on his rant, I stop him.

"The wind blew the window open. It just startled me." I tell him, walking back to the bed and I lay down, making him pull me closer to his chest.

"Just go back to sleep, Em. Nothing will happen to you. I'm here to protect you for as long as I can." He mumbles in my hair and I don't know if he's being open because he truly cares or because he's half asleep, so I don't say anything else.

##########

"I say we go to Pearl's, bust down the door and annihilate the idiot that attacked us last night." Damon fumes, nailing wood over the broken window and I take a sip of my drink.

"Yeah and we should knock on the door just so they are aware we're coming. They'll never suspect our real intentions." I state sarcastically while Damon shrugs at the idea as of he would actually do it.

"I can't believe you made a deal with her." Elena glares deadly at Damon, not having spoken to me at all ever since she witnessed our kiss.

"It was more like a helpful exchange of information." Damon points out, speaking about Anna's mother. "It's not like I had a choice she's... scary." He takes a double take and smirks. "Besides she's gonna help me get Katherine back." He states, making me snap my head to look at him in disappointment and he's looking away from me.

Of course... how was I so dumb?

All of yesterday was just an act.

He missed her, so he came to kissed the lookalike.

I'm such an idiot.

My sister scoffs at his words, looking in between us for a second, narrowing her eyes when she notices my angry expression. "Damon gets what he wants no matter who he hurts in the process. So much hope for you to actually care about my sister beyond her looking like Katherine."

"No need to be snarky about it." He glares at her.

"I woke up this morning to learn that all the vampires had been released from the tomb. And if you haven't realised... you've just upset my sister who doesn't deserve someone like you." She snaps back at him, making Damon and I lock eyes for a second before we look away. "I think I've earned snarky." She glares back at him with her arms crossed.

Damon rolls his eyes and walks over to sit down next to me on the couch. "How long are you gonna blame me for turning your birth mother into a vampire? Em's nearly over it."

"Nearly." I emphasise, moving away from him and he looks hurt by my action.

"I'm not blaming you, Damon. I've accepted the fact that you're a psychopath with no redeeming qualities. Hopefully, Em will realised that before it hurts her even more." Elena fire back, looking in between us. "Not like you care."