XLVIII

I put on the dress that Klaus suggested, admiring it on the mirror with an unsure look. Rebekah is trying on some new dresses because the dress she had on was literally from the last century.

"There has to be more to this dress." I hear Rebekah complain and I lowly chuckle. 

I hear Rebekah open the curtain and I do the same, walking out of my dressing rooms. I look at Stefan and Klaus who are laying comfortably on the couches, sipping on their champagne. Klaus looks me up and down, giving me a lustful wink but I ignore it as usual.

"So women in the 21st century dress like prostitutes, then?" Rebekah questions, making Klaus and Stefan chuckle at her comment as I glare at her. "I got dirty looks for wearing trousers."

"You wore trousers so women today could wear nothing." Klaus states, a smirk on his face as he looks over at me when he speaks. "Not that I mind." I give him a tight smile.

"And what is this music? It sounds like a cable car accident." Rebekah complains again and I can't imagine being daggered, then waking up 90 years later to adapt to a new decade.

"It's dance music." Stefan replies. 

"People dance to this?" Rebekah snaps, a look of confusion written on her face. 

"They try." I smile, causing all of them to chuckle. 

"Are we done?" Klaus groans in frustration and I roll my eyes because it's not like we have been here for a long time.

It's only been twenty minutes.

"Why are you so grumpy?" Rebekah demands with a hand on her hip. 

"I needed one thing from you for my a witch to find why my hybrids were dying. One thing, the necklace, and you lost it." Klaus glares back, causing Stefan to look down in shame.

Stefan stole the necklace and apparently at some point it belonged to Katherine and then it was Elena's.

"I didn't lose it. It has just been missing for 90 years." Rebekah argues back, turning to Stefan and she twirls with a smirk to show off her dress. "So what do you think?"

"I like it." Stefan forces a smile and Rebekah gives him a murderous look. "What? I said I like it." Stefan carries on, making me roll my eyes at his lie.

"I can always tell when you're lying, Stefan." Rebekah states, heading back into the dressing room. "Emma, did you find something?" She calls out from inside the dressing room.

"Yep." I state, twirling for me to see my new dress in the mirror. "I hope you're paying, Klaus. You ruined my tank top yesterday, you owe me. Plus, you chose the dress."

"As you wish." Klaus says, turning towards Stefan. "Nice one with my sister. Good work."

"You're the one who pulled the dagger out." Stefan fires back and I glare at both of them.

"I heard that." Rebekah calls out.

"All right. I'm going to get some air." Stefan informs, standing up and walking out from the shop. He's acting too suspicious and Klaus will see something is up if he carries on.

"What's going on with Stefan?" Klaus asks me and I shrug, taking Stefan's place on the couch and immediately grabbing his champagne. "The dress really suits you, you know?"

I smile at him, looking down at my dress. "Well, I hope so. Means you have good taste."

"Are you okay?" Klaus questions and I wonder if he's still talking about what happened yesterday. "The way you killed those people yesterday... you were hurting more than I imagined. But each brutal kill made you feel better, didn't it?"