7

Lucifer glares up at his cellphone, Charlie's words from last night repeating over and over in his head keeping his hand from opening Sinstagram. Why is it now after yesterday when he sought out that little songbird already that he's hesitating?

She followed him back. After spending hours watching Voxflix shows that he didn't want to admit he's already binged, she followed him back after he left her suite. Yesterday morning was hard, another dream of his wife plaguing his night turned into almost breaking his robot again yesterday morning.

But when he thought everyone else was gone, and he was as alone as he's felt all these years without his wife living in the manor they once shared, she was right there in the lobby in a robe. And even though he barely knew the skittish little songbird, he couldn't be alone with himself and the memories of violet eyes staring down at him in disappointment.

Yesterday was nice. It's been too long since he was able to spend time with someone other than his daughter or his fellow sins. He's never liked the idea of becoming too friendly with sinners, since they spat his gift to them back in his face, but she's...different.

Lucifer doesn't understand it, and he doesn't want to think too much about it, but now Charlie sees it...

"I think it's good that you're getting out there and making friends, dad! I think she's good for you, it's been too long since I've seen you happy like this!"

But...

Lucifer blinks, and enchanting violet eyes are staring back at him again as he sinks deeper into his bed. He's never had female friends, aside from Bel and Bee. He never wanted women friends, because it felt like an insult against his Lilith. She was the best friend he ever had, that he ever wanted.

He was happy yesterday; he was able to forget for those hours in her suite just how badly he wants to be with his wife again. But what if Lil came back? What if the impossible happened, and his wife came back to him at last, only to leave again because she's disappointed in him for spending time with another woman? Even if that other woman could never hope to hold a flame to her...

Lucifer sighs, dropping his phone on his chest to drag his fingers through his already messed up enough hair. He knows this isn't healthy, holding onto the flame of hope for Lilith, but he can't help himself. She's the love of his eternal life, the mother of his daughter, there's never going to be a part of him that doesn't love Lilith and wants back that love they once shared.

"Dad?" Lucifer rolls his head to the side, eyes catching Charlie standing in his doorway. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, sweetie!" Lucifer immediately pushes himself up, letting his wings out for a moment to propel himself up out of bed before his daughter gets wise to his moping in bed. "Just wanted to lay in bed a little longer today, that's all."

"Dad, you don't have to hide from me when you're not okay." His wings droop before he can pull them back in, shoulders slumping. "It's okay to admit it, I understand, I just want to help if you'll let me."

"You don't need to help me, Charlie, I'm okay. I'll be okay." He hopes...

"Is it...about mom?" Lucifer feels that since Lil left, that's been his only pain. Because even the pain of being cast out by his father, falling into Hell, fades in comparison to the pain of being rejected by the woman he fell for.

Charlie's lips pull down into a frown, and Lucifer's hit hard in the heart with guilt over knowing he's the reason for it. "I'll be fine, some days are just...harder than others." Especially when yesterday was spent with a woman that isn't the mother of his wonderful daughter.