68

Everything hurts. Every inch of your body hurts from your head to your toes as you try to open your eyes, despite the ache increasing behind your eyes as you do so. You can hear whispering, and it takes a moment to realize it's not the lost ones whispering as you begrudgingly roll your head to the side.

Through the dark curtains casting you in shade, you can barely see figures standing just past them. "...don't know what kind of poison it is, Luci. It's something we've never seen before."

"Bel, I don't accept that. There has to be something you can give her to clear her system."

Bel is here? Despite how badly it hurts you to roll over, and how your skin is sticky and nasty and sticking to the silken sheets, you do so and try to move towards the edge of the bed.

"Luci, I treat demons. I've never treated any angels before you, and you've never been attacked or poisoned by sinners."

"Brother, she'll wake up soon, I'm sure. She's strong, she's a fighter, she'll be fine."

"Her wings aren't healing, and she's been out since the attack, Oz!" You try to reach for the curtain shielding you away from everyone, only to cry out as pain rips through your back up to your fingertips.

The curtains are yanked open in an instant though, and you're being smothered in warmth faster than that as you're moved back into the center of the bed. "L..uci..." Even talking hurts, your throat feeling like it's on fire from just that little bit. Your head is spinning again, and you watch as Lucifer cradles you against him how Oz grabs a bottle of water from the nightstand.

"You sound like you could use a drink, honey." Oz hands the bottle to Lucifer, who helps you slowly drink even though that also hurts. You cough on the cold water a few times, eyes burning and watering in protest even as Lucifer rubs your side and cleans the mess you make with a damp washcloth until you've drank at least half of the bottle. "Better?"

You shake your head as Lucifer helps you lay back down, even his touch hurting against your skin as you curl away from him. Before, you'd happily let him hold or touch you. But it feels like thousands of little needles sticking you in the skin when he brushes his fingers over your forehead.

"My love, what hurts?"

"Every...thing." Your throat hurts a tad less thanks to the water, but still feels as if it's trying to close up.

"Bel?"

"The poison prevented her blood from clotting, but it also drastically weakened her system. Aches and pains are to be expected, especially considering how much blood she lost before her wounds were packed and closed." You let your eyes flutter back shut, the darkness helping the ache behind your eyes a little bit. "I will have to run some more tests on the sample you procured for me from the sinner."

"I think you're secretly enjoying having a new project, Bel." Oz muses as you feel the bed dip beside you, not needing to open your eyes to know who it is. You've grown so familiar to the feeling of Lucifer in bed beside you, you'd recognize that feeling anywhere.

"Under better circumstances, I would be enjoying this. Would you like me to relay the news to Charlie, Luci?"

"Please, I still can't leave." You can already feel yourself starting to drift again, back to darkness that's filled with warm dreams and old memories eventually.

"I'll have something sent up for you to eat soon, brother."

Silence follows, only to be followed by the sound of the bedroom door clicking shut before the bed shifts again. "I'm so happy you woke up, songbird, but get some more rest. You need it." You move your head to the side, closer to the soft whisper of Lucifer's voice, before feeling him press a soft kiss to your pulsing temple.