27

"Why is it I have this feeling in the back of my mind that you're the reason for this, Lucifer?"

Lucifer doesn't look at you or your phone that you're holding towards him to show the message Vox sent you to work from home today. That message which came this morning out of nowhere, for no proper reason because the only other time you did this was after Valentino.

"Anxiety?" You narrow your eyes on the king of Hell, propping your hand on your hip as you wait. You have all day; you already finished your work before Lucifer even got back from his meeting this morning. "Why would I intervene in your work, songbird?"

You raise a brow at him when he finally turns his gaze to you, throwing his overcoat on your couch before starting to kick off his boots. "Gee, I wonder, maybe it's the way you've stolen me from work what, three times now for lunch without prior planning it?" Lucifer's managing to keep his smiling face neutral, you're impressed. "Or the fact you hate Vox, especially when you see him posting about his relationship to me that's fake?"

"Hey, you wanna fuck the TV Demon, go ahead." Your foot catches him in the stomach as he goes to crawl into your bed, stopping him as you press back. "That's mean."

"I didn't kick, I blocked. And who was your meeting with today then, Lucifer?" Lucifer's silent, and that's enough of an answer for you. "Was it with the Vees?"

"They requested one, I just honored their request." You pull your leg back to you, letting Lucifer crawl up to sit beside you as you shut your laptop and set it away from you. "How was your day?"

"Stop interfering in my work, please, Lucifer."

"I wasn't!" He's crumbling, his facade is crumbling. "It was an early, boring meeting about all the demons from Envy that keep coming up here to try to kill him! As the sin of Pride, I needed to know why I have hundreds of dead demons from Envy!" What's he talking about? You thought what was going on was turf wars with other Overlords. Did Vox lie to you?

Well, it wouldn't be the first time he lied to you... "Are they who attacked us that night at dinner?" Lucifer nods as you watch him loosen his bowtie from around his neck. And you thought it was other sinners, at least Lucifer gives you answers about this stuff. "Did you get anything out of Vox?"

"Other than some names about who keeps hiring demons from Envy from all the way up here in Pride, no. I don't really care what that TV Demon has to say anyways, I just let him run that annoying mouth of his while I scrolled on Sinstagram under the table." Lucifer flinches when you pinch him on the thigh for admitting he wasn't paying attention during his royal duties. "That was mean! You wanna touch me down there, aim a little higher, songbird!"

"You're supposed to listen to your subjects, not scroll social media. Even if you don't like said subject." Lucifer rolls his eyes at you but he's still smiling anyways. "And if you keep interfering in my job, your hand is all the company you'll have." Lucifer's smile still doesn't waver. That smug look now back in his eyes, as if you're challenging him.

"Why don't you work for me instead? You could be my assistant, not Vox's."

"Because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't give me any work and would instead be trying to spend the day in bed with me."

"Your boss wouldn't shut the fuck up about you, by the way. It was kind of annoying. I see you every day, just can't escape you can I, songbird?" You're pretty sure if that's true, Vox was playing the same game as Lucifer. Because Vox knows Lucifer's the one who's stolen you away for lunches, because he has eyes everywhere in Pentagram. Well, besides the hotel here fortunately.

And Vox hasn't been happy about it, about how open your friendship with Lucifer is to the public. He especially wasn't happy about the dancing the other night, because it gained traction faster than he could try to blacklist it from showing up on people's feeds. Because Vox is still playing at you being his partner, and it doesn't look good on him that you're with another man more than him.