33

Asmodeus is going to hear from you tomorrow about this. You know he has a hand in this, because it's pretty coincidental that right after he said you and Lucifer need to talk, Lucifer shows up at your room hours later. You know he has a hand in this, and you're not happy being forced before you're ready.

"I'm decent now, you can come out." You call to Lucifer as you adjust your shirt one last time before wrapping your towel around your soaking hair now instead.

"I don't know why I had to stay in here." Lucifer comments as he comes out of your bathroom where you sent him while you changed. "It's not like I haven't seen you naked before."

"You've lost the right to make those kinds of comments." You don't want him to talk about that. You don't want to think about it, because then you'll think about all the times he's laid in this bed behind you naked. All those intimate, soft moments that won't be repeated.

And Lucifer's shoulders sag at how quickly you shut down that comment, before he walks over to join you on the couch. And your heart hurts again when Ortho jumps off your bed onto Lucifer, happily rolling over for belly rubs as Lucifer would give him every night to put him to sleep. "Hi, Ortho, I missed you too."

He probably missed Ortho more than he missed you... You want to call Ortho a traitor for how quickly he ran to Lucifer, but Lucifer is his creator, and you can't. He wouldn't exist if not for this infuriating man. It feels odd, like Ortho's your shared child and he's suffering the divorce of his parents.

Except you and Lucifer were never together, and you wipe that idea out of your mind in an instant. "Why are you here, Lucifer?" You want to get straight to the point, because the longer you're beside Lucifer like this, like nothing happened, the more your heart cries to be close to him again.

"I... I hoped we could talk. About what happened." Yeah, this was definitely Asmodeus's doing. No doubt about it.

"What's there to talk about?" You don't want to open yourself up to him again though. Not with how quickly he turned on you. What could he do next time? What would he do if some of the things you discover about your past as an angel are things he doesn't agree with just like he doesn't like you being an angel?

"I know I deserve the anger, but can we please talk like you don't want to throw me further than my siblings did?" But no matter how hard you try to hold onto your anger, your feelings of betrayal and heartache, your stupid bleeding heart is still soft for Lucifer.

You haven't had time to smash it harder than he has so it doesn't feel anything at all for him anymore. "I have nothing to say, Lucifer. You made it clear how you feel about my identity."

"I don't know your angel half, but I know the other half of you that's been beside me these months. And I really care about that half, and want to get to know the angel side with you, if you'd let me?" You turn your gaze away from him scratching Ortho's belly, to the curtain covered windows instead.

You don't want to go back to lonely pining... "No." As much as it hurts you to say no to him, after so long of only saying yes to whatever he wants, you need to take care of yourself now.

"Wha--no? Songbird, I--"

"You turned on me when I was finally figuring out who I really am, Lucifer." You're not going to just forget it because he wants to make some pitiful attempt at fixing what was already breaking every time your heart felt another crack. "The one person who knew how much I wished I could remember my life, who should know what it feels like to be cast out, turned on me."

"I'm sorry." You won't look at him despite how miserable he sounds. "I can't say that enough. I really can't. I just... I was scared, because I know all angels are taught to see me as the evilest being in creation and stay as far away from me as possible. And I was afraid you were going to remember those lessons and abandon me too."