55

"Please, songbird."

You frown at the reflection of Lucifer in the bathroom mirror. "Luce, it's written in ink. I have to go." You know he doesn't want this. You know he doesn't trust Vox, even though he's going to be in the same restaurant just on a different floor. You know he doesn't trust this, but this ensures that Angel and you are safe.

"My love, he's dangerous to you." Lucifer presses himself in against your back, hooking his chin over your shoulder as he wraps his arms around you. "I'll be there, but who knows what he actually gets out of this."

"Maybe this is what he gets out of it. Riling you up, making the king of Hell rip his hair out with worry and jealousy because his girlfriend is having dinner with him instead." Lucifer's horns peak out from his forehead, and you're sure if his eyes were open, they'd be glowing red. "Don't let him get to you, love."

"It's hard not to, when he's going to be all alone with my girlfriend in just thirty minutes."

"Think about the fact that after this, we're going back to the manor where your fellow sins will be joining us for the weekend." You know Lucifer's been bursting with excitement all week for this, his weekend with the sins should be what he focuses on. "Focus on that excitement, Lu. It's more important than worrying for me."

"Not true at all. You're my love, my beautiful songbird that I'm not going to let have her wings be plucked by that fucking lowly sinner ever again." Lucifer leans in, kissing at the back of your earlobe before letting go of you. You turn to face him, and he presses you back against the bathroom counter. "I'm going to be there with you every single time you have to meet with him. I'm going to be with you any time you have to do anything difficult, my love."

You pull Lucifer in by the bowtie, kissing him as his arms slip around your waist. "I love you, Luci."

"I love you too, beautiful."

"I'll be with you through anything you ever have to go through too, Lu. I'm not going anywhere, and no one's going to make me leave your side either." You promise him as his warm hands cup your face as if you're fine China.

"Promise?" You chuckle at his response, pulling him in for another kiss.

"Promise. Now, we need to head out, love. Don't wanna be late and see what Vox does in retaliation."

"He can't do shit in retaliation with that contract binding his hands from ever touching you." True, but still. Just because Vox is an ass doesn't mean you have to forgo manners and show up late.

"Come on, little devil." Lucifer sighs dramatically, but let's go of you anyways so you both can get moving.

*

You can't believe this man...

Vox smiles charmingly at the waitress while you feel the snake that despises him slither up your lower back, nestling himself in against you like some house pet when you know he's far more dangerous. You know he's worried, but what if Vox figures out, he's on you?

He could cancel the contract and send Valentino after Angel again. Or worse, and you don't even want to think about that. "Are you ready to order, little bird?"

You force a smile despite the way Lucifer's scaly snout brushes against your back as he settles down finally. So much for staying upstairs on the balcony... "Let me just check the menu one more time." You'd started to read it, before you felt the familiar feeling of scales slithering across your leg to tell you that you weren't as alone with Vox as you thought.

"Give us another minute, and we'll be ready!" Vox says to the waitress before she scurries off. Now that the waitress isn't standing at the table waiting for your order though, Vox's eyes once more are on you. "You look well, little bird."