22

"I miss you."

You stare back at those three words, before you delete them for the umpteenth time. No matter how many times you type them, you can't hit send. You can't bring yourself to try to talk to Lucifer just yet, not knowing how much he's hurting because of you.

It'll be a week tomorrow since you've seen him. Since that morning in your room where everything fell apart. And you know he's struggling, because he still hasn't been involved with anything in the hotel. Everything involving him goes through Charlie, and you feel bad for her because you can see how her worries increase by the day.

"Go home, the meeting with Carmine is canceled." You look up from your computer screen to instead meet the screen/face of Vox walking past with an obvious annoyed pace in his step.

"Problems, or are they not able to come up with the angelic steel you need?" You ask, knowing you should jump at the opportunity to get out of here early. But going back to the hotel early will just remind you of the ache in your chest. Because you know everyone's busy, and you'll be stuck alone with your thoughts and no work to distract you.

"They claim that angelic steel is in high demand right now and want to take it elsewhere." That sounds like a battle that doesn't need to happen. "When you come in tomorrow, we're going to have a conference call with Carmine and a few other overlords. Don't worry, little bird, you won't get caught in the middle of this battle like the last."

Vox doesn't give you another glance, walking away to let you pack up and go home. Even though you don't want to...

But you do, and you decide to fly for a change since you haven't spread your wings since the day you came back from Lust with everyone. Besides, maybe the flight will help clear your heart and head.

You pull your phone out as you're flying, staring at Lucifer's stupid little snake face staring back at you as his chat icon. Your fingers hover again, trying to type the words you want to say, but you can't and shove your phone back in your pocket to focus on your flight.

You didn't expect though to find company in your room when you get back. You know Niffty sneaks through everyone's suites but Lucifer's and Alastor's, so you're used to your door being open by now.

But your nose picks up the smell of apples and alcohol before you push the door the rest of the way open. And your mind flickers back to Ozzie's down in Lust, recognizing that smell immediately.

The man who's been tormenting your head and heart is sprawled on the floor on his back in front of your couch when you open your door, hiccupping as you stare at him for a moment. "Lucifer?"

Lucifer sits up, tilting his head back against your couch before lolling it to the side to look at you with those vermillion eyes that have haunted your sleep. "So--songbird!" Lucifer tries to stand up, only to fall backwards onto your couch.

It's barely past three in the afternoon. And he's drunk? Not to mention drinking when he's not even supposed to be drinking. And he looks horrible, and your soft heart is crying out to go over to him as he tries again to get up only to fall back onto your couch.

"Hi, Lucifer. Are you okay?" You ask as you walk slowly towards him, practically gagging at the strong smell of alcohol on him. Is this how bad you two were in Lust?

"No..." Lucifer flops back down face first into the cushions as you stop at the end of the couch, looking up at you with those sad eyes that break your heart all over again. "Miss you..." And that hits you in the heart with its full force, because he's saying what you've been unable to tell him for days.