23

You don't know why you expected Lucifer to still be in your bed come morning, considering he had been heavily intoxicated when he fell asleep, but you did. And it doesn't hurt you any less to wake up, roll over, and see he's gone.

Fresh pain wells up in your heart as you roll over and try to ignore it, ignore that you have to get up to go about your life with your connection to Lucifer still damaged.

You hear your door open and shut, and you roll over expecting it to either be Charlie or Angel as they've been the ones checking on you the most. Instead, your heart thumps against your ribs as you see Lucifer Morningstar creeping in through the darkness of your room with a tray in hand. He doesn't see you've seen him yet, and you don't give it away either as you watch him walk over to your nightstand and set the tray wafting cinnamon and chocolate down quietly.

And you know it's early, you know this is earlier than either of you usually wake up, but your heart that had just been hurting over the idea of him sneaking out in your sleep is fluttering again because he snuck out to make breakfast for you and then tried to sneak it back in before you woke up.

And you just watch him for a moment in the darkness of your room. You watch the way he snaps his fingers, and a little vase with a beautiful flower appears on the edge of the tray. You watch how he adjusts it, as if he's trying to make everything perfect. You watch how he walks away from your nightstand, over to the old radio Alastor gave you and turns it on to soft static before gentle classical starts to play softly into your room.

But as if he knows he's being watched, he turns back towards you and his eyes lock with yours through the darkness. Those vermillion eyes that never fail to pull you in. "Good morning, did I wake you?"

"No, I woke up on my own." Probably because his warmth was long gone from where he had been cuddled up against you. Lucifer walks over, sitting at the edge of your bed as you realize he's in his usual pajamas he wears when he's with you versus the robe you sent him to bed in last night. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm alright. I... wasn't too bad for you, was I?" Lucifer asks but you hear the underlying question as well. He's worried about being drunk around you because of Lust, but he was fine. Bratty, petulant, but fine.

"No, you were fine. Do you remember any of it?"

"Bits and pieces. I've got a potion waiting up in my suite for me to take." You sit up, scooting over to the edge of the bed and finally seeing fully what he laid out on the tray for you. Cinnamon waffles, cheesy eggs, toast, sausage and a mug wafting up to you with the smell of hot cocoa. And despite how much you ate last night with Lucifer just to get him to eat a bit more, your stomach is growling at the smells.

"You don't need that. I can tell you whatever you need to know." You promise as you reach for a slice of toast. Lucifer reaches for the second mug, which wafts the smell of coffee up to your nose as he raises it to take a sip. "Have you eaten?"

"No, I'm good though. You eat." You're not accepting that, not after last night. So, you spear a sausage on your fork and turn to him. "Songbird, I'm fine."

"I got you to eat last night, I'll get you to eat again now if I have to." You assure him, and the awkward tension that he's had in his shoulders since he sat down on the edge of your bed finally starts to melt as he leans down and bites the sausage off your fork. "Thank you."

"Little devil does like sausage, just not as much as pancakes." Oh great, he remembers that nickname. "I'm sorry." Lucifer says after a moment of you finishing a piece of toast and him taking another sausage for himself.

"For what?"

"You having to take care of me while I was shitfaced. Not exactly how I wanted to see you again after a week of..." Lucifer trails off, and you barely see that sad glint in his eye that he had for too long yesterday before he masks it behind a blank mask that you don't like seeing. "I'm sorry."