48

Later double post because AO3 broke our hearts and broke today T-T

The loving warmth of earlier in the safety of your shared bed with Lucifer seems like a whole different world compared to the tense coolness of Ozzie's right now... The air so thick with tension you could cut it with a knife.

Vox is due to arrive in ten minutes. Vox and Valentino, because they're never early. Vox is always on the dot on time, never early nor late. And even though the rest of you got here early to make sure things are clear, it doesn't make it any less anxiety inducing to know what you're about to deal with.

To know that you're putting Angel in the same place as his owner for the first time since he assaulted him. To be physically in the same room as Vox for the first time since you embarrassed him publicly and took off with Adam. Not just some projection of himself.

Lucifer's hand finds your balled into a fist on your thigh, prying your fingers apart to squeeze your hand within his warmer one. And one quick glance at Husk and Angel shows you that they're in much the same position, Husk holding Angel's hand on the table in plain view of everyone, including Valentino when he gets here.

You turn your eyes away from the stairs that Vox and Val will come up to Lucifer beside you, smiling back at his reassuring smile and squeeze of your hand. Lucifer leans in, so you tilt your head to the side to let him whisper whatever he wants to say. "We can leave now if you've changed your mind about this, songbird. We don't have to do this."

You scoot yourself in closer to his side, smiling at the way his arm stretched behind you on the couch immediately comes down to hug you in despite knowing your friends are near and can see. "We're already here, Luce. If we just ride it out and see what he wants, we're done, and we don't have to do this again."

"Hm..." You know he doesn't want to do this. Regardless of how he agreed to this, he doesn't want to sit down with the two men who have caused so much strife in your lives.

"If you don't want to be here--"

"I'm not leaving you or anyone else here alone with that TV fucker." Lucifer is quick to shut down your attempt to give him an out to this meeting. "I promised to protect you, my love." Lucifer purrs against the shell of your ear, and your lips can't resist quirking up into a smile at the nickname.

"Luci..." Lucifer can't use that nickname and expect you not to want to kiss him for it. But all you can do right now is squeeze his hand still holding yours on your leg.

You've just barely turned to meet those warm vermillion eyes staring back at you when someone clears their throat, pulling you and Lucifer out of your little bubble together. Looking over as you distance yourself from the king, you find it's Charlie giving a nod towards the balcony with an apologetic smile.

You can guess what she's trying to get you to notice though. Especially when you hear that familiar voice carrying up the stairs towards you all. And Lucifer tenses against your side as well, before you pull apart for the impending confrontation.

Everyone else seems to realize it's time as well, because Angel and Husk separate too, and Adam and Alastor look up from watching the crowd down below on the main floor as well. Here's hoping this doesn't turn into a disaster...

As predicted, it's not just Vox. Valentino is with him as well and even Velvette, which is a surprise because you know she hates being dragged away from her fashion shows or designing. Vox is coming in force just as you did.

"Ah, my Angel Dust! ¡Cariño, es maravilloso verte!"

You're not happy with the way Valentino immediately gravitates to Angel, but neither is Husk judging by the way he pulls him into his side with an arm around his waist.