38

You sigh as you press your face deeper into your pillow, the urge to stay in bed under the warmth of your comforters far too tempting. You're nearly back to sleep, when you feel the bed shift and warmth better than your comforters blanket your back with a soft, rumbling hum.

You whine softly at being pulled back from sleep but press back into the warmth anyways as you feel a warm puff of air against your neck. Wait...

Your eyes flutter open, looking over your shoulder to see the sleeping face of Lucifer pressed against your back. Right, you invited him to sleep over last night after you both got back from the stroll in Pride Manor's Garden. After watching a cheesy horror movie that you both laughed at more than anything.

This is the first time he's cuddled up to you in your sleep since your fallout. You're surprised it took him this long, he's done so well keeping to the other side of the bed. It makes sense after yesterday though, after essentially what felt like a date. But you're not really sure if that's what it was, because you were too terrified to ask, and Lucifer was happy.

You feel the familiar slink of scales around your calf as Lucifer breathes softly against your shoulder, his tail wrapping around your leg the way it used to while you slept. And for a moment, as you close your eyes to just enjoy this, you forget that anything had changed between you both. You forget just for that short moment that this snoozing man had yanked your heart out of your chest.

It comes back though, too soon. But the dull ache in your chest isn't enough to make you try to free yourself, because you missed this. And you know it's not healthy for you, for your heart, but you can't help but miss this closeness with Lucifer.

You lay your head back down, deciding to sleep just a little longer and pretend even if it'll backfire as it did last time, but Lucifer hums your name softly against your shoulder. You look back at him again, but he's still asleep. Is he talking in his sleep again? It used to be Lilith's name he'd be calling out, why did he say yours?

Lucifer's tail tightens around your calf before he relaxes again with another soft hum. But he presses himself more firmly against your back, arm wrapping around your waist. You really hope this doesn't backfire as it did last time...

But with that idea in mind now, it's easier to convince yourself to crawl free from Lucifer. Because you're not going back, you're not going back to letting him do as he pleases with you just because it made him happy. Even if he's asleep and doesn't know what he's doing, you do know. And your heart can't take this a second time.

You carefully pull Lucifer's arm off your waist, returning it to him so you can crawl away. But his tail is still wrapped around your calf, stopping you from getting far. It's just like that first time he grabbed you in his sleep again... You push the comforter back to reach down and free your leg from his tail, but instead it retreats just as you touch the spade tip.

You look over at the king beside you in time to see him blink back at you before rolling onto his back. "Sorry, I'm moving." And you feel guilty despite knowing this can't happen, especially with the sleepy rumble of his voice and the way he immediately rolls over and returns to his far side of the bed.

"It's fine, Luce." He wasn't intentionally doing it. "I know you're clingy." You tease in hopes to break the awkward tension as Lucifer lays on his stomach on the other side of the bed, hugging his pillow to his face as you watch his back rise and fall rhythmically to show his attempts to go back to sleep.

All Lucifer does is hum softly, obviously not entirely here with you yet, so you lay back down to enjoy the warmth from where you both had been just a little longer. "Did I wake you?" Lucifer asks after a moment of silence.