69

You finally wake up at a normal hour, albeit still a bit later than your usual wake-up time. But you notice something's wrong immediately, because the bed is empty at your side. Instead of Lucifer's warmth against your back, he's gone. "Lu?"

Lucifer said he hadn't left your side the entire time you were bedridden. Yes, you made massive progress yesterday in that you stayed awake for hours and got in the bath with Lucifer's help, but he still refused to leave you even when Charlie called for him.

So, if he left you now before you even woke up, does that mean something else is happening? Do they still have that sinner captive, did he go to torture him with Alastor?

You pull your phone out from under your pillow, sending a text to Lucifer to ask where he's gone. The moment it's read, a portal whooshes to life beside your bed and Lucifer practically flies through it. "Are you okay? You didn't fall again, did you? What hurts? What's wrong?"

Your heart swells with warmth at Lucifer's frantic questions, how he immediately checks you over like a mother hen. "I'm okay, Lu, I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Lucifer sighs, shoulders sagging as he flops down onto the bed and lets his wings fall against you and the sheets too. "Are you okay?"

"I was in a video meeting with Vox, my love." That's where he was? Why is he meeting with the man you're supposed to meet with tonight for dinner? "I'm trying to pay him off for tonight, so you can rest."

"Lu, money has no meaning to him. He makes so much off everything his business offers; he throws it around to flaunt his power." That's why none of Vox's personal contracts are ever money oriented. All he wants is power and opinion. "I can go to the dinner, Lu, it won't be that long."

"Then I'm bartering that I'm joining for this one. You need someone to help you walk, I can't just ride along on you as a snake when you're this weak." You watch as Lucifer stands back up, wings disappearing.

"Lu, I know you mean well, but don't risk the contract on this. If Vox says no, you can ride along with me and be there if I need you as before." Lucifer pulls you up out of bed with a gentle hand, and your legs wobble for a second but you're able to stand at least. "This ensures that Angel is safe from the Vee's as much as me, love."

"I know, dear, but look at you." Lucifer keeps your hand in his as he takes a step backwards, helping you walk with him as your legs shake again from the strain.

"I could borrow your cane, if that helps you feel better." Lucifer's brow quirks at you, and you narrow your eyes back at him when a smirk starts to curl over his lips. "Stop it, you perv, I know that look! Go finish that meeting, then come back to cuddle."

"Alright, alright, alright." Lucifer pulls you in again, kissing you on the temple before lifting you to set you back on your bed. "By the way, I'd let you play with my cane any day."

"Stop it! Get out of here!" Lucifer chuckles hotly before stepping away, another portal appearing just in time for him to back through it.

You lay in bed on your phone for another thirty minutes before Lucifer comes back, this time through the door instead of a portal. "Do you want to come down for breakfast? Charlie texted me letting me know they ordered food." This early? That's new, usually Lucifer loves to cook breakfast for everyone. Even when he's just using his magic to do so.

"After, explain how the rest of the meeting went first." Lucifer crawls into bed with you, pulling you over onto his lap once he's sat up against the headboard. "Did you reach out to him first? He prefers going through me."

"He reached out to me, because the shooting was on camera. All of Hell saw what happened." That's just great... "I'll be with you tonight, but we're changing the venue to a restaurant closer by tonight. It's a cute little place, I've taken Charlie there before on daddy daughter dates."