35

You genuinely believe the gravitational force around Lucifer Morningstar is inescapable. He is the star in the center of it all, and the only options are to rotate at the exact distance for eternity, never getting any further away or any closer to, or fall further and further into that gravity. And you wonder, how close did you fall before your rotation leveled?

Or are you doomed to fall the rest of the way into this star's gravity, destined to burn up in him?

Lucifer walks over and plops back down on the bed of blankets and pillows beside you, scratching Ortho's belly when he barely lifts his leg for attention, before he hands you the drink he'd gone to grab for you. "Are you sure that's all you want?" You think no matter how hard you fight, no matter how long you try to stay mad, you're never going to win.

"Yes, thank you." Lucifer's eyes that were sad before you'd fallen through his portal with him are soft as he looks between you and Ortho on the blankets between you both. He still won't let you get another word in about your rant earlier, he insists its fine, but you don't want to let that fester.

"Okay. So, do you want to watch anything particular? Horror? Comedy? Romance?" Romance is probably the last thing you want to watch right now. Especially considering the company you'd have for that kind of movie, and knowing what little you had is over.

"Horror?" Lucifer picks the remote up off the couch behind you, turning on VoxFlix as you lean back into the wall of pillows to watch what selection he pulls up. "You didn't have to do all this for me, Lucifer."

"You're right, I didn't. But I wanted to, because you deserve it." No amount of fighting back can keep your heart that's been hurt by him from fluttering happily at his sweet words and this sweet gesture. "You didn't have to agree to this just because you feel guilty." You know, but... you genuinely do miss those moments with Lucifer where it was just the two of you. No lead up to ripping clothes off or wandering hands, just hanging out as friends would.

"I really am sorry about what I said Lucifer."

"Songbird, stop apologizing, I get it. You've had a long day, long days. You're exhausted, you haven't had any time to yourself, and I didn't help with that either. There's nothing to apologize for, because I know if you weren't struggling as much as you are right now, you wouldn't have said it." You really wouldn't have. You'd never lash out on anyone like that, let alone Lucifer. Because it's no one's fault but your own.

"You still didn't deserve it when all you're trying to do is be a friend though." Lucifer stays quiet this time, not arguing as he scrolls through the horror movies on his TV. "I know I said I'd let you try to fix things, and I'm sorry if I haven't exactly been cooperative with your attempts, Lucifer."

"Songbird, if you apologize one more time--"

"I'm not the only one struggling, I'm not blind." Lucifer finally takes his eyes off the TV, looking at you directly for the first time since you asked to stay.

"You're trying to balance babysitting that overgrown brat, working for that shitty demon, helping my daughter, trying to learn more about your past, and me all at once." Well, he said it a lot nicer than you did earlier... "You're dealing with a lot more than a broken heart, and on top of that what I can assume is hollow confusion over wanting to know more about who you were and why you're here. I can back off trying to fix things until you're ready, songbird." Lucifer looks back to the TV, but you don't miss how his mask breaks for just a moment. Shows that aching emptiness you've seen too often in his eyes recently.

You think you are ready though. Because even though you're still hurting, you know it's not healthy to hold onto this kind of anger. You know Lucifer's trying to move past it, show that he can move past his prejudices for you. You don't think you can move past it too if you keep holding onto this anger.