36

It's not worth trying to repay some debt that should have long since been repaid anymore.

"Get off me, Vox!" You snarl, trying to flex your wings against his cold, sharp fingers digging into the muscles as he holds you against his desk with a snarling grin down at you.

"I've been very generous, little bird. I've been patient, I've allowed you more luxuries than anyone else who's ever had the fortune to work for me. And you just keep spitting my generosity back in my face." Vox says as you wish, for just a second, you weren't a guardian angel. Because then you could fight back, then you could hit him or bite him, but you can't. Because your nature and orders from the almighty won't allow you to harm a human soul.

"Maybe I would be more grateful of your "generosity" didn't come with a fine print. Like forcing your tongue in my mouth." And the only reason he's mad right now is because you won't let him put Adam on his show. You won't let Adam either get dragged down with you or align himself to Vox.

"You should be grateful it was only my tongue."

"I chased it away with vodka immediately after, to forget the taste and feeling." Even if he's got you by the wings, you can't help but speak your mind. Even if you know Adam is just outside in his penthouse living room with Velvette. Even if you remember what happened last time you fought back against Vox.

"Poured in your mouth by Morningstar?" You don't give him the reaction he wants, and it's easy because there is nothing between you and Lucifer now. You're only friends. "You're supposed to be mine, little bird."

"I belong to no one but myself."

Vox flips you over, pinning you stomach down to his desk before holding his phone in front of your eyes as he leans over your back. Showing that vile picture of him kissing you, the one you blocked from seeing with your own accounts. "This picture would beg to differ on that. As would this." Vox swipes the screen, and your eyes widen when he shows you security footage of you and Lucifer slipping out of Ozzie's private room together.

Of Lucifer at your back with that proud smile of his, because you'd agreed to let him have his way with you once you both got home that night.

"And if I could find this, so could any other halfwit who knows how to hack into a security camera. So, we'll try this again, who do you belong to?"

"Myself." You won't back down, even if he has that. Even if it looks bad, looks as if you and Lucifer were together by that picture. "Did you forget that our king is wearing a wedding band?"

"Lots of people cheat. But I'm not going to let you ruin my publicity boom because you wanted to as well." Vox's claws dig painfully into your wing, pulling you down the desk flush against him.

"I can't have cheated if there's no relationship to have cheated on." You hiss out a painful breath when Vox tears a feather out of your wing when he pulls on you again, refusing to give any further reaction despite the burn of pain from having a healthy feather yanked. "Get off me, Vox."

"I'm the best chance you have of surviving down here, little bird. Do you really think Morningstar won't get bored of you? That he won't grow to despise you eventually as he does the rest of us sinners?" You can't fight off the memory of Lucifer's disgusted face glaring back at you at learning what you are. Even though you know he's apologized, the fresh pain in your heart doesn't let go of that image. "He's even making you babysit his ex's ex now! The guy he humiliated and let be murdered at his feet! You think he'd hold you in any higher regard?"

"You know nothing about my friendship to Lucifer."

Vox laughs, yanking harder on your wing as you bite down on your lip to hold in the hiss of pain when he pulls another feather loose. "Please! No one in that high of a position cares about us! They think we're just dispensable, that we're only interesting for a little while before they toss us aside to go back to what they really care about!"