New Siren

Dom POV:

Fuck!

I tear away from the Rage Dome, running as fast as I can down the red winding road.

I feel the heat of Veneer on my heels, getting me to take drastic measures.

*SWOOSH*

I jump into the clouds, falling rapidly past the sooty, ashy smoke clouds now covering Mount Rageous.

I hit the ground, moving forward in a roll before getting on my feet and running.

I run faster than ever, racing through the quickly deteriorating streets.

I run until I find an alleyway, racing until I find an open door. I wrench it open, running up the stairwell and to the top floor as fast as possible.

I find some random room, locking myself inside before backing up from the door.

I can't keep my breath quiet, even if I wanted to. I gasp for air, my hand on the wall behind me, freezing the paint.

I break my hand away, watching as the newly formed frost begins to melt.

Holy shit...

I've bit off way more than I can chew. I made him into a fucking monster...

I try to collect myself, racking my brain for whatever I can to help myself.

It was fun getting to torture him in the beginning; it really was. I thought he'd be like any of my other victims... how did this go so wrong?

I had it all: Mount Rageous at my will. Now... there's nothing but ruin. No imports/exports. No neighboring communities want to trade with us because of Mount Rageous' lack of fostering communication.

After I killed the mayor, I looked through the books. He hid countless records of how badly the alienation between Mount Rageous and the outside world was disconnected.

We expanded too fast, bought, and spent too much without realizing that we'd face a societal collapse at any point.

I thought I could be Mount Rageous' new leader. I felt it in my bones... I'd rule over everything, everyone. I'd have the power, the attention I've always craved.

Veneer would be my plaything... he'd be mine.

Now... I finally understand it doesn't work like that.

I realized it too late.

I transformed him... into something more dangerous than me. He's stronger... more powerful than I ever imagined he'd be.

I let him become what he is... I doomed us all. I thought, genuinely believed I was all-powerful... and... now... I know I'm not.

He's got the power and the magic without needing help from the trolls. He's a different variant of a Siren Rageon... I had no idea what I'd done infecting him.

I killed so many... to feel in control. I froze, mutated, tortured... all to continue to feel on top, to be the all mighty powerful... and it didn't work.

Now... I'm the one being hunted. Has Veneer felt this fear this entire time? Is this what his shitty boyfriend feels? Panic... pain... pure, unforgiving terror?

If Veneer catches me... I'm dead. I thought I could torture him, get him to give up. I thought if I hurt those he loves, he'd give up.

I thought, and assumed, and planned. My scheming didn't fucking work.

I just wanted to be the best. I know I'm better than my brothers ever were, even if no one could see it yet.

Veneer immediately was different. It was obvious to the group that the twins were on troll. Who could have that level of talent from nowhere? Sammy was a good indicator of what to look for: the high eyes, laughs over nothing funny, the drowsy posture, the jittery shaking from the moment that high sinks in.