Locked For Good

Veneer POV:

We get back, and I'm pretty worn out. Rollie and Gloria get in the back along with Dixie, and Roman and Cade get in the bed. Fred drops them off at "Rocking Rager," where their residency is, and takes Jewels for me as I get out and hug Roman. It's sad not to be seeing him for a while.

Ven: "Thank you for everything, Roman."

Roman: "Thank you, Ven. Get some rest, ok?"

I look at his dead skin, sad to see his blackened eyes. At least he still has the gold of his irises, but it makes him look rather scary.

Ven: "I'm so sorry about your skin."

Roman: "Ahh, don't worry about it. I think I quite like the look now. I think it goes well with the rocker aesthetic. With a little makeup, I think I'll actually look cool. Plus, how many Rageons can say they're half dead?"

Ven: "Aww, well, I'm so happy you can make it positive. You're right; it does look pretty cool."

Roman smiles and pats my back before I give Dixie and Cade big hugs as well. I wave to them, then get back in the truck. Fred looks at me, then back at Rollie, then back at me. Rollie raises an eyebrow as Fred takes a deep breath, as if he's gearing up for a huge question.

I look at Rollie, giggling as I see his confused look.

Fred: "So, Rollie, I have a question."

Rollie: "Sure, love."

Fred: "Can I stay over tonight?"

Fred crosses his fingers and closes his eyes.

Rollie: "Oh, uh, yes? I... had assumed you were."

Fred pumps his fists excitedly, then gets serious again.

Fred: "Ok, last question. Can Ven stay over tonight?"

He does the same thing, and I join him in crossing my fingers and closing my eyes.

Rollie: "Of course he can. I'm pretty sure his stuff is still there, so-"

Fred: "BOOYAH!"

Rollie and I laugh as he cheers excitedly. It wakes up Jewels for the millionth time and she hops off my lap to go sleep on Gloria. Fred leans back and kisses Rollie's cheek before high-fiving me. Rollie smirks and shakes his head as Fred sits back and drives back toward Rollie's.

Ven: "You know, I feel bad. I have OJ and Quesadilla on my bed."

Fred: "You'll have to keep him safe for when you see Ritz again."

I nod, feeling a little sadder now that I have thought things through, including Kid Ritz on my mind. By the time we get upstairs, I'm positively exhausted. I quickly shower, the warm water lulling me to sleep as it once did at the start of everything. 

It's comforting and makes me feel better. Once I'm out, I change into a shirt and shorts and climb into bed. I let Gloria have Jewels so she can have some support, which leaves me, OJ, and Quesadilla to cuddle. 

I grab them and hold them close. Quesadilla smells sweet, like Kid Ritz's perfume. Oh, that reminds me of what I need to do tomorrow. I snuggle into the covers, my back positively aching. I feel like an old man, yet... a content old man, nonetheless. We accomplished everything we wanted, so... I should feel good about that.

Fred POV:

Fred: "Go straight to bed, V. I'll care for Jewels, alright?"

He nods and gives me a big hug. As he leaves, I take Jewels to her tree.