Ritz's High Decision

Veneer POV:

When we get home, I'm exhausted mentally but vividly energetic physically. Kid Ritz tries to help me calm down, yet not even his sleeping trick is enough to keep me asleep all night. I give up trying by four AM to stay asleep, but no matter.

I get up and clean around, even though everything in the apartment is spotless since all I do is clean. By the time Kid Ritz awakes and is downstairs, I have breakfast made for him, I've cleaned all the dishes I used to make him his meal, and I have his lunch packed.

Kid Ritz: "V, you didn't have to do this all for me. Did... you get enough sleep?"

Ven: "Yup! I just wanted to thank you in some small way for all that you've been doing for me!"

I kiss his cheek before heading upstairs. A little later, Kid Ritz finds me cleaning out Jewels' cage. 

Kid Ritz: "V... I'm going to work. I won't see you until the show tonight in the dressing room, alright? You're okay driving yourself there?"

He asks me calmly, but I can see why he's concerned.

Ven: "Yes! I can go on my own. I'll have Floyd with me, so I should be fine."

I expect Kid Ritz to say something, yet he doesn't. He's not been as friendly towards Floyd as he used to be. Maybe it's the sudden change of having Floyd live with us, or perhaps it's because I have to use him to my advantage.

Whatever it is, it's just for a few more shows, so I won't press Ritz on it. I get up and kiss his cheek, and he sighs quietly.

Kid Ritz: "I'll see you tonight, sweetheart. You... will wait for me before using Floyd?"

Ven: "As long as there's enough time for me to... calm down, then yes."

He searches my eyes and then, with a nod, leaves the bedroom. I'm very antsy by the time I have to leave for the show. As I pack my tote, the front door is knocked on. I freeze for a moment, scared to be home alone and have someone over I wasn't expecting.

I get downstairs and open the door to see Velvet and Orchid.

Ven: "Oh! Hey, guys! Come on in!"

They walk in, yet I can tell immediately by their energy that something is off.

Velv: "We... were driving by and figured we'd give a shot at catching you before... before your show."

Ven: "You caught me just as I was packing up! You can follow me upstairs!"

I hurry upstairs, going way faster than I guess I realize, as it takes the girls a hot second to make it up after me. I quickly brush Jewels and get her in her harness as the girls sit on my couch.

Orchid: "So, Ven. We... didn't get a chance to talk to you after your first show, but we wanted to say that you did amazingly well."

Ven: "Aww, thanks, guys! I hope you enjoyed it! I'm sorry I couldn't talk with you all; I greatly appreciated you even coming out to support me!"

As I talk, I place Jewels in her carrier, then go to pack my clothes for after the show. As I fold my robe, my hands shake.

Velv: "Ven... I... I don't want to beat around the bush. I'm... we're... concerned about you."

Ven: "What? Why? Because I couldn't see you after the show? There's no need to be concerned; I simply just wasn't feeling well."

Orchid: "Veneer... can you look at us?"

I stop folding my robe, my hands trembling as I take a deep breath. I meet their eyes, my heart pounding as I'm analyzed.

Velv: "Veneer... you... you haven't gone back on the ring pop, have you?"