Luscious Locks

Kid Ritz POV:

I stare into Ven's eyes, reimagining the pale blue flashing in fear. I can't let that continue to haunt me... at least, not for the mission tonight.

A dark storm breeds overhead, the sky slowly turning even redder.

Kid Ritz: "Come on, let's get inside."

He nods, climbing off my lap. We walk inside, the two of us taking a deep breath.

Kid Ritz: "I can make dinner, and you can do whatever you need to get ready for tonight."

Ven: "Ok. I'll take a shower. See you soon."

Ven kisses my cheek, his eyes lingering on mine before he walks away. I walk to the kitchen, seeing in the shiny and expensive pots and pans how... normal I look.

I can't believe it; I really can't. I honestly didn't think I'd ever return to how I was. I watch a tear roll down my cheek, seeing it's clear, sparkling, and glittering just as it should.

I wipe my happy tears away, getting straight to work on making dinner. I try my best to make the pasta and bread Ven and I had made back at his apartment, getting it down, mas o menos.

As I pull the bread out of the oven, Fred walks into the kitchen. It seems he may have taken a nap, yet he looks tired in a good way, not in the exhausted, worn-out mood he's been under.

I put the bread on the stove, looking at him with tears. He looks down at me, his arms slowly moving so I can hug him.

I hug him tightly, not even caring my oven mitts are still on. I cry silently, feeling as he hugs back hard.

Kid Ritz: "I should have never put my hands on you. I am sorry for messing up so badly."

Fred: "I'm sorry too, dude. I really am."

We hug for a while more, the two of us pulling away with glitter everywhere.

Fred: "Good thing... I let Rollie shower first."

I laugh shakily at his quip, my heart feeling better to hear him joke.

Kid Ritz: "Wanna help me plate the food?"

Fred: "I'd rather eat it, but sure."

Kid Ritz: "Aww, dude. Not the dad jokes."

I can't lie about how seriously happy I am to hear him sound like his old self.

We plate everything, setting water out as Rollie emerges from his bedroom.

Rollie: "Oo! This looks so good!"

Fred: "Ritz made it. He may just have to join you and Ven's cooking show. Better yet, forget our band, Ritz; we'll all switch careers and become chefs."

Kid Ritz: "Sure, dude. It's my dream to make vegan bread."

The table giggles, and the two go quiet as we realize Ven's not here.

Kid Ritz: "I'm going to go check on Ven."

The two nod, the immediate worry settling over the dining room table. I hate how in tune we are with picking up panic and scared vibes, but it's all we've known for so long... it's hard not to be tuned to anything else.

I walk to the bedroom, not finding Ven in the bedroom. I walk to the bathroom, seeing through the door handle him standing at the sink.

I push the door open, seeing him standing with his toothbrush in his hand. His head is down, his body gently swaying back and forth.

I notice the ring pop in his hand... he's nodded off while brushing his teeth.

Kid Ritz: "Veneer."

I call him, yet he doesn't seem to hear me. I walk up, shaking his shoulder until his head lifts.