Seaside Move

Veneer POV:

I call Velv, but it goes straight to voicemail. Kid Ritz calls Orchid and gets the same thing.

Ven: "Okay, I know Orchid's not your sister, but with my sister, I thought she'd call us about this. It's big news!"

Kid Ritz: "I thought so, too. I guess... everyone will find out over Instagram?"

I feel weird knowing my sister is headed for a big event in her life—and she couldn't be bothered to call me about it. It was already hard to see her move out after we've been together our whole lives, and this surprise is even more of something I guess I'll have to adjust to.

Kid Ritz: "Well, I guess we just will have to wait until they decide to give us more details."

I nod, yet I can't shake the weird feeling in my stomach. Since that incident at Ritz's old house, I've been struggling internally not to return to ring pops. I have no idea why, but that desire is back in full force. 

If I'm getting gas, I have to resist the urge to enter the store and buy a ring pop. If I'm at the store and see them behind the counter, I must pay as quickly as possible. Everything feels quick and slow simultaneously, and I'm desperate for something I can control that will make me feel good.

However, I've gone this long and don't want to mess up now. Plus, I need to be strong for Ritz. Tomorrow's a big day of change for him, and I need to put him first. We go to bed quietly, and I rub his back so he can relax.

I wake up early, as I always do, and get ready for the day. I make Ritz his breakfast and then clean up around the kitchen while waiting for him to wake up. I love his little touches to the kitchen and around the apartment.

He's brought tons of decorated plants in beautiful pots, as well as spices and pottery that I think add such a nice flair to the kitchen. This past week has, in part, been fun for me to make him breakfast as I get to experiment with all of the things he's brought into the apartment.

I make him his coffee, then cook him a quesadilla and cut apples into a little bowl for him. Even though I can't eat normal cheese, Ritz has been so sweet to agree to eat vegan cheese on my behalf, even though I offered to buy him just regular cheese.

He's been the sweetest when it comes to planning meals, going right ahead with my vegan alternatives. I love how we've gotten so good at giving and taking, and because of it, I am more than happy to make him cute little breakfasts and lunches.

He's skipping work today so we can drive his Mama down to the beach, so I'm hoping I can be there as much as he needs me to be. Ritz eventually wakes up and is grateful to have come to a breakfast table waiting for him.

As he eats, I finish doing the dishes.

Ven: "So, I'm thinking of getting a run-in with Jewels, maybe also walking, then showering, and by then, I think it'll be time to go."

Ritz: "Can I come with you?"

Ven: "I'd love for you too! How cute! Jewels will be so excited!"

Ritz normally doesn't accompany us on our runs, as when he was not living with Jewels and me, it meant that it was my responsibility to walk her. But now, over this past week, if he's not at work, Ritz is more than willing to participate in things I'd normally have to do alone, such as grocery shopping.

He's been going to the gym after work, but maybe he'll start going with me in the morning. I won't press on it, but I can't lie to myself and say that I'm not excited about him joining us.

I get dressed for the gym as Ritz finishes his food, then wait downstairs for him to be ready. We walk down to the gym together, and I let Jewels go feral as she hops on the treadmill next to me. I have it on a very low setting, which is perfect for her, as she's learned that if she needs a break, she can hop on and off.