I'm After You

Kid Ritz POV:

Dom goes in first, the two of us sneaking around the mostly barren store quietly.

Even though it's looted, it's not trashed. It just looks like the store hasn't been stocked.

I poke around, seeing a small garden section in the very back.

I scour the shelf, finding seeds. I grab what I need, showing Dom excitedly.

Kid Ritz: "Dude! We did it!"

Out of instinct, I hold my hand up for a high five. Dom blinks... then reciprocates. It's so weird... our group has been treating him more and more like... he's one of us.

Whatever... he's still a bad guy. Just... I'll keep things light if I can.

Kid Ritz: "Let's go."

Dom follows me to the car where we get in and show Fred and Velv the seeds.

Velv: "What kind of seeds are they?"

Fred: "I see... watermelon... and figs."

Kid Ritz: "Figs seem like they'll be the best option for Jewels. I hope I can grow them for her."

The group nods as I start the truck.

Kid Ritz: "Ok... I guess we'll go to the restaurant."

I drive off, my heart beating quicker and quicker as we near the restaurant.

All too soon, I pull into the parking lot. My jaw drops as I see Ven's green hair disappear into the back room.

Kid Ritz: "He's here..."

Velv: "I can't believe it. Midori is truly so smart."

Her voice is quiet as she stares inside.

Kid Ritz: "Ok... I guess this is it."

Fred: "You think it's best we all go in?"

Kid Ritz: "I don't see why not..."

I look at Dom, feeling weird. He's... proven himself enough to me that... I think he's just ok enough to bring him around Ven.

Kid Ritz: "If we're all ready..."

I climb out of the truck, my heart pounding.

Kid Ritz: "Actually... Dom, maybe wait outside for a second."

Dom surprises me by nodding. I take a deep breath and... find myself patting his shoulder.

Fred and Velvet do the same to Dom before we approach the doors.

Fred: "Ritz... maybe you should go first."

I look to Velv, and she nods.

Kid Ritz: "Ok. Come in after a few minutes?"

They nod, and I continue on my way to the front door. I push the door open slowly and hold my hands up in surrender so he doesn't get alarmed.

I hear shuffling from the kitchen as Ven approaches the door to enter the seating area.

I... I sense his magic. He... literally feels like a Siren. I can feel the energy and magic radiating off of him.

I hold my hands up as Ven slowly exits the kitchen. He sees me, his hands flying to his mouth before he runs up to me.

We embrace tightly, my hands feeling over his back and shoulders to make sure it's really him.

Ven: "Kid Ritz... oh my gosh."

Kid Ritz: "Hi, cariño."

I whisper to him, the feel of him in my arms once more overwhelming my body with painful emotions.