Better Show

Kid Ritz POV:

I would never tell Veneer... but I was fucking pissed at Floyd. How could he have been so careless? He allowed Veneer to get high again. Sure, it's a different high than the ring pop, but it's a high nonetheless.

Veneer had been sober for months, and now, as I watch him panic on the couch after the realization has set in, it's taking everything in me not to lash out. Floyd meant well. It will be okay, Ritz. Take a deep breath.

Kid Ritz: "Veneer."

He looks at me, his green eyes wide with stress. Fuck, I hate that tint.

Kid Ritz: "It's going to be okay. I will stand up for you with whatever you feel needs to happen. If we have to cancel the tour, we will."

Ven: "I can't disappoint everyone!"

Kid Ritz: "Your health matters the most to me. Can you really go through with a troll high seven more times? Is that something you want to risk?"

Ven: "Well... Sammy's had his troll for years now. I... I should be okay for this tour..."

Ven looks at me with very wide, very scared eyes. He's desperate... How can I deny him success when we have the tool to do it...

Kid Ritz: "Well... then... I guess it's settled. If you are sure, then... do what you think is needed."

Ven takes a deep breath and tries to calm himself. I turn towards Floyd, still a bit upset, even though I'm trying not to show it.

Kid Ritz: "Where have you been staying? How are you planning on coming to the rest of the shows?"

Floyd: "I've actually been staying here, in Mount Rageous. I've been living freely, finding new spots every night to bunker down. It's been fun, but I can see the worry of me not getting to the shows on time."

Ven: "You... could stay with me again."

I look at Ven, then back down at Floyd. I'm angry with him now... but it doesn't seem like I have much of a choice other than to allow him to stay.

We end up taking Floyd home; he hides in Jewels' carrier with her once we leave "The Boom Box."

The whole way home, Ven's shaking. He decided he did not want to see any of our friends or family, not even Velv. He's scared. He's scared to be confronted with them finding out he used troll again.

I don't know how to feel; I really don't. On the one hand, the success is sensationally massive. On the other hand, what happens when we tell Management no to another tour or movie? Just... no.

At least we're set for life. And... knowing Midori and Carlos are going to get the funds they need is... the small sliver of motivation telling me to allow Veneer to get back with using troll.

When we get home, Ven sets Floyd up with a small pillow next to Jewels' tree. I watch as he puts Jewels to bed, then I go downstairs. I go outside, still incredibly angry with how things have turned out.

*RING*

I see my phone ringing, and I answer it.

Kid Ritz: "Hey, I'm sorry we didn't get to see you guys."

Rollie: "Don't be. Ritz... is..."

I sigh, already knowing by the tone of Rollie's voice he knows.

Kid Ritz: "I couldn't stop him, Rollie. Somehow, Floyd convinced Ven it would be a good idea. Veneer's had insane pressure from everyone, and I fear I made it ten times worse. I... I feel like I've failed him."