Pages 69+70

Day One!

There is nothing quite like a lungful of fresh Oregon air to lift your spirits. We spent the morning hiking up the granite pass to the lake, where my secret shortcut through the mountain is located.

I remember in my youth I hate physical activity, but since my college years I've developed a rigorous daily physical and mental workout. I love Tesla, but if I look as emaciated as him when I'm in my seventies, shoot me with a death ray!

If only my girlfriend had an exercise regimen like mine! Only one morning and she's already winded! She took a breather around midday and could be heard grumbling about wanting to invent a pair of robot legs while she ate her sandwich. She even drew a diagram in the dirt with a stick.

ROBO-LEGS

While she snacked, her bread crumbs attracted a rather curious creature.

-----

The Plaidypus

This bizarre red-and-black-checkered beast waddled out of the brush unexpectedly for a bite of C's sandwich!  I've heard folklore of these creatures, "the source of all lumberjacks' jackets," but assumed it was just a local legend, like "The One Clean Truck Stop Bathroom." In fact, they are very real and, oddly enough, smell like maple syrup and bacon.

A perfect flannel-patterned coat covers its entire body. Young ones are rumored to start with horizontal stripes and only acquire vertical ones once they reach maturity. Highly sought after by the locals!

It is said that a jacket made from the Plaidypus's pelt is incredibly warm, impervious to mosquito bites, and goes in and out of fashion every ten years or so.

I would NOT eat those eggs.

Could the legend of the "Croc-Argyle" be true as well?