Pages 103+104

Cryogenic Tube

We've found our first specimen! During the dig, I discovered a large blue egg containing an utterly bizarre creature. This squishy, maggot-like hatchling has a unique ability: he can transform his body into anything he sees!

I quickly caged this marvel, and have been feeding him C's candy, which he devours ravenously.

I said we should freeze it to test our cryonics, but C has grown attached to the creature, and I suppose I have as well.

FOUND WHILE EXCAVATING!

WATCH YOUR FINGERS!

LIQUID NITROGEN

DNA CONSTANTLY CHANGES

-----

Tests

For the past week, C and I have conducted all manner of tests on the specimen (whom we've named "Shifty") to get a sense of his unique biological makeup. Although we've yet to determine his origin, we've recorded countless incredible forms.

Shifty has such a delightful temperament- transforming into a tail-wagging dog when he's happy and a prickly sea urchin when he's sad. I have shown him photos of a number of different animals and he always matches them perfectly. (Although I am careful to only show him small herbivores. The books on large prediaors are strictly off-limits.)

C and I have also become careful to wear surgical masks while around him- the possible repercussions if he got a good look at our faces are somewhat unnerving.

Every day, Shifty grows bigger and bigger- I had to upgrade from the small kennel box to a full-sized steel cage.

SOMETHING ODD...

CHANGING DNA

While working late in the bunker, I heard a high, otherworldly, parrot-like voice call out "Candy." Shifty has learned to speak! A few words at first, but every day he's learning longer sentences. Increasingly, he asks "Who am I?" He is an avid learner- and has asked on multiple occasions to see my journal, but I have declined for obvious reasons. (There are over 100 forms in this book that I'd never want to see him take.) He also seemed to have noticed the physical differences between C and myself, and how I wear a binder while she does not.

I keep reminding myself and Candy that the only reasons we're keeping the creature is to study him. However, it seems that both of us have grown an emotional attachment to Shifty- almost as if he is our child.