Pages 77+78

I awoke the next morning to the sound of screaming! (Which, in Gravity Falls, is more common than you might think.) Apparently C had gotten up early to apply makeup when she spied something menacing standing behind her reflection in the creek. But when she turned around to stab at the intruder with her flute, it was gone!

Strange things are always found in this hidden pass!

As I surveyed the camp, I felt a hand tapping on my neck. I whipped around in a panic but found there was nothing there. An eerie gust of wind carried my gaze to an ancient, moss-covered wooden sign on which was carved a strange poem:

IN THE CORNER OF YER EYE, A MAN APPEARS TO LEAN.
BUT WHEN YOU TURN TO MEET HIS STARE, HE'S NOWHERE TO BE SEEN.
HIDE YER LUMBER, CLUTCH YOUR AX, AND TURN YOUR LANTERNS OUT.
BEST WATCH YOUR BACK, MY FRIENDS, THE HIDE-BEHIND'S ABOUT.

-----

I'd heard enough lumberjack lore to know we were in the presence of....

The Hide Behind

Legends describe a being with an impossible ability to hide before it is seen. But what is he? A ghost, a living shadow, or just a malnourished Peeping Tom with a fear of eye contact?

Is this Peripheral Phantom watching me right now?

FOOTPRINTS!

NEVER BEEN SEEN!

A strange HOWL echoed through the air as C and I packed up quickly and quietly and walked backwards out of camp. I told C to keep her makeup mirror handy to look back just in case. I may return to this camp one day once the hairs on my neck finally stand down.