24. White Sugar [Shownu]

A/N: wow, theres 900 plus views now.

--

You held your chest, feeling your palpitating heart which was abnormally beating very fast. You bit your lip and looked at yourself in the mirror of your locker, scrutinizing your image from head to toe. Your hair was tied up in a high ponytail, leaving some baby hair dangling. You looked at your red shorts and sleeveless white top, showing the curves of your slim body.

It was your first day as an intern. A lifeguard intern. You could swim well and even won several competitions when you were an adolescent. You enjoyed swimming so much that you decided that you want to be a lifeguard to save people's lives. However, out of all the places you were transfered to, it was the Caribbean Bay. A place where expectations are high for their lifeguards. 'Would I do well on my first day?'you thought.

You inhaled and exhaled deep breaths to ease your mind. You closed the locker and clenched your fist. 'I can do it.' You exited the changing room and was greeted by your instructor, Mr Kang. You bowed at him.

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Y/N."

He nodded his head with folded arms. He looked very stern. "Welcome to your first day. It'll be hard for you but as a potential swimmer, it shouldn't be an excuse for you to slack. I hope you get along with the others,"he said.

You nodded your head and bowed once more. "Follow me."

You then clicked your head up and trailed behind Mr Kang. He then led you to the outdoor pool where people from all ages could swim. Humongous spiral slides was enough to make you dizzy as the spirals never seem to end, the gigantic blue bucket stood out at the children's section and the tall slides could frighten someone who has acrophobia. In a sense, everything looked fun and interesting.

You then saw a group of lifeguards who were playing in the water and some were involved in their own world, chatting away. Your heart started beating extremely fast as you approached closer to them. You got startled when Mr Kang blew his red whistle, catching their attention. In a flash, they all halted their activities and ran to Mr Kang and you, getting into their lines. They were surprisingly synchronized.

However, your heart shattered. Just with one glimpse, you knew you didn't feel welcome. Smug faces were plastered on and murmurs were heard.

"Everyone, meet the new lifeguard who will be joining us starting from today. She obtained several gold awards from swimming competitions and is passionate like all of you. Please introduce yourself,"said Mr Kang as he turned to me.

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Y/N."

You bowed. You couldn't smile. You didn't want to smile. Their reactions was obvious enough to prove that your existence ruined the atmosphere. Just a while ago, gleeful smiles were crept across their faces but now, you were greeted with frowns.

"Would there be any kind souls out there who would like to volunteer in being Y/N's buddy for one week?"asked Mr Kang.

Everyone averted their gazes on the floor and some exchanged gazes with their friends in disbelief. You felt a lump in your throat seeing how everyone was already hating on you.

"That will leave me no choice but to elect someone,"threatened Mr Kang.

Everyone bit their lips, hoping their names wouldn't slip out of Mr Kang's lip. Mr Kang scanned through the lifeguards, inspecting thoroughly.