62. 1 second [Kihyun]

A/N: the title for this chapter is derived from a line sang by the muscular bunny wonho in monsta x's myself. ik this is random but everytime i watch monsta x, i always thought to myself that i stan the right grp. like where can i find such dorks off stage but a grp of beasts on stage??

--

You thanked the taxi driver and got off the car. To your astonishment, the dinner which your father had organised was rather held in a grand hotel. Having a father who is a wealthy businessman would spark such reactions from your peers but brought wonders because apparently, you didn't follow your father's footstep.

You scanned yourself from head to toe, biting your lower lip upon seeing your denim jeans, tucked in pastel pink top and sneakers which weren't acceptable for such a formal dinner. You didn't take a day off because as a doctor, life can be unpredictable. Besides, both your parents are aware you would come over straight from the hospital.

You sauntered in the hotel and went into the lift, going to level 20. As you stepped out, murmurs and clanking of glasses and cutleries was heard from the outside. You clenched onto your sling bag and walked to the dinner room, your welcome was rather judged. Everyone halted their conversations and took a moment to stare at you. Your cheeks turned flushed red and you knew those reactions were expected. They were all father's friends, colleagues and corporate partners all dressed professionally in a prim suit and elegant dresses.

"Y/N!"

You turned your head to the left, noticing your mother was heading towards you.

"Where's Appa?"you asked her.

She grabbed your arm. "I'll bring you,"she said.

You walked by her side. Yet, their eyes were glued onto you still. From afar, you saw a white-haired man talking to whom you assumed was his friend and beside him stood a young man whose height was average. Your father looked away for a moment and his lips beamed into a smile upon seeing you.

"Oh Y/N! We were all waiting for you,"he said.

You smiled back at him and looked at the other pair. "Meet my old friend, Mr Yoo and his son, Kihyun. He's the same age as you. This is my daughter whom I've been talking about,"introduced your father.

You bowed a 90 degree to Mr Yoo and just a simple nod at Kihyun. "I'm Jeon Y/N."

To your astonishment, Mr Yoo wrapped you in a short hug. Your eyes grew wide and you stiffened upon his act. "I've been wanting to see you for so long! I'm sure you've just came from work,"he grinned as he noticed your casual wear.

You rubbed your nape sheepishly and nodded reluctantly. "Y-yea,"you stammered.

"Let's start the dinner honey!"you heard your mother.

Your father chuckled and nodded his head, excusing himself to stand infront of the podium. Your mother dragged you to a vacant seat beside her whereas Mr Yoo and his son took the chairs across you.

"He's cute isn't he?"your mother nudged.

Your eyebrows furrowed as you looked down at her. "Who?"

"Kihyun,"she grinned.

You stared at her in amusement. "Eomma!"

As you clicked your head up, your eyes landed onto Kihyun. Apparently, his gaze was on you too. In a split second, you looked away and stared at your father. 'He's short,'you thought. That was the first impression you had of him.

"Dear invited guests. Let's proceed to our seats and start our dinner!"said your father through the microphone. Everyone cheered, excited to eat after the long wait.

Waiters came with plates of delectable food and bottles of wine. They served each guest and poured wine into everyone's glasses. Everyone digged in and you were on cloud nine seeing the abundance of food.

"Should I say the announcement now?"

You stopped chewing onto your steak when you heard your father. He leaned his head closer to your mother. You squinted your eyes. Perhaps, did they plan something? You watched as your mother nodded. Just then, your father rose up from the chair and walked over to the podium. He cleared his throat and all the guests halted, their eyes stared at him.

You turned and leaned in closer to your mother. "Eomma, what is Appa doing?"you asked.

She smiled and somehow, she glanced over to Kihyun before answering. "Surprise,"she simply said.

You blinked and looked over to Kihyun. He was rather composed.

"Attention guests,"your father started.

You averted your eyes away from Kihyun and turned to your father. You couldn't quite explain the feelings you had at that moment. You just didn't know why you had a bad feeling about it. Nevertheless, you focused on your father.

"I have a very important announcement to make. Mr Yoo and I have been friends for many years. We shared sweet and bitter moments together and he has helped me a lot. To express my gratitude to him, I have accepted his favor. I gladly accept Mr Yoo's son, Yoo Kihyun, as my son-in-law."

Everyone cheered and applauded their hands like a seal but in contrary, your eyes were wide like an owl. You clicked your head to Kihyun and indeed he was staring back at you. You scrutinized his face. He was rather calm and unfazed by the news. It was as if he expected it. You turned your head slightly to the left, gesturing him to meet you outside for a moment.

You rose up from the chair and ignored your mother when she called you but she stopped when she noticed Kihyun leaving the table right after you did. You clenched your fists and waited for him at the corridor.

"What is it?"

You shot your head up when you heard his voice. You glared at him and digged your nails onto your palm. "You knew about it didn't you?"you went straight to the point.

He blinked and slipped his left hand into the pocket of his pants. He nodded his head slightly in response.

"And you're fine with it?"you cocked a brow.

Once again, he nodded. You grew impatient because he was rather silent and calm about a big issue. "Don't you think its unfair? You're going to get married to a stranger and a woman whom you've never loved. I can't get married to you,"you spoke.

"But I want to marry you."

Your eyes widened when you finally heard him speak. You pointed your finger at him and then at yourself. "Y-you...want to marry me? That's ridiculous, we just met."

"My dad showed me a picture of you. When I saw it, I immediately thought you would be the right girl for me."

Your eyes were still large but you gasped. "H-how can you like someone just by a picture?"

Honestly, you were rather annoyed. Kihyun was spouting nonsense and adding to it was his seriousness. It was as if his mind wasn't like a mature adult. 

"Everyone fall in love differently. They can like someone in a minute, a day, a month or a year but for me, it only took 1 second."

You felt your heart race and accompanying your fluttering emotions was your squirming stomach. You gulped and averted your gaze away from him, rather embarrassed to look at him in the eye. 'How can he like someone in 1 second?'you thought. You glanced over to him, only to catch him staring at you intently. Truth be told, his eyes never left you for a single bit. At a loss for words, you covered your face with your right hand and rushed into the room, biting your lower lip. 'Let's avoid him, Y/N'you thought.

--

A/N: part 2 coming soon. honestly, i have an idea on how to continue but it would be long so i decided to make a part 2 :) andddd, tysm everyone for the 72k. u guys are really the best :) oh and, i am planning to create a monsta x fanfic or a one shot fanfic but idk yet. let's see how it goes.