61. Shoot Out-Part 2 [Minhyuk]

Once again, you were lost in the torrid vortex of the moment. The sigh which escaped your lips was slow, as if your mind needed time to process what had happened. A day flashed by so fast and you were unaware of what to do.

"Minhyuk..."you said, stopping to take a deep breath.

You let it all out in one sigh. 'Keeping mute for a beloved person or exposing his dark truth?'you had these thoughts for so long. Since the night you left him, you had never heard from him then.

"Officer Jung."

You shot your head up upon hearing the familiar voice. Turning your head to the left, you saw Chief Park standing beside your desk. Immediately, you rose up from your armchair.

"Yes, Chief Park."

"A resident had just called, informing that a car was found in Hwajinpo Lake this morning. Apparently, the identity of the car owner belongs to a man named Lee Minhyuk but he is still yet to be found,"he spoke.

In an instant, your eyes widened as the word 'Minhyuk' slipped out from his lips. Your face fell faster than a corpse in cement boots. Your mouth were hung with lips slightly parted and you glanced nervously at Chief Park. 'Did he perhaps...committed suicide?'you thought.

"We need to visit the venue and investigate today. Please prepare the car. I'll meet you shortly,"added Chief Park.

You gulped and nodded your reluctantly. As soon as Chief Park left, you stood there struggling to exhale, inhale and to do anything. Unable to comprehend what had just occurred, you toppled and fell back on your armchair. 'Minhyuk, did you really leave?'

--

The lake was a perfect mirror, reflecting the sky above to give blue and shimmer. The breeze ran unchecked blew your long bangs and the air had fragrance of line trees that circled the lake. You resented the delightful view and weather. How could Minhyuk possibly ended his life in a lake so magnificent?

You averted your gaze away and scrutinized the drenched and smashed car which you rode the day before. It was so surreal. Everything occurred so fast, leaving you bewildered and flabbergasted. You clenched your fists even tighter upon recognizing the plate number. Those numbers were indeed very familiar.

"Please find Mr Minhyuk as soon as possible,"spoke Chief Park to the designated swimmers who were on duty in finding him.

The waves of helplessness and anxiety hit you as you hardly bare the moment when the name Minhyuk came out. Unable to restrain such emotions, you jogged back to the car and sat alone in it. The tears streamed down your cheeks, falling to the ground like raindrops. Your heart cracked like glass, spreading its pieces throughout your whole body. You couldn't be tough. You just didn't want to accept it.

Minhyuk was indeed Liang but nonetheless, he was the love of your life. You realized, your first love was no longer yours. 'Is this the ending Minhyuk chose?'you thought. Truth be told, you just want to forget who Liang was. At that moment, Lee Minhyuk was the one whom you grieved for.

Without realizing, Chief Park was in the car. He watched you silently, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Why are you crying?"he asked.

You turned your head to the left and widened your eyes, wiping the tears as soon as you saw him. You looked away and glued your gaze onto your lap. You sniffed and bit your lower lip, restraining yourself from pouring out your emotions any further.