71. Unfair Love [Minhyuk]

He had the world hiding behind his fake smile. It was as if he wore a mask. The smile tore at you in your indecision. You've never questioned him. In fact, you knew you were being selfish to satisfy your needs.

Minhyuk was indeed the source to your happiness. At first, you thought it was fate that brought you two together because his father had ties with your father's company. It all started when the both of them felt it would be great if you got married to Minhyuk, which in result can help both companies. You were on cloud nine on having to meet a charming man with diverse qualities. However, your elation didn't last.

You looked up at him. "Is the food great?"you asked.

He clicked his head up with a contorted lips which showed his awkward and toothy smile but his cheeks were not so compromising. He nodded before returning back to cutting his steak and allowing his face to return to its usual cold hard gawk. "It's nice,"he responded.

Your heart throbbed but still, your lips curved upwards forcefully to convince yourself that you were fine. Just then, you felt your phone vibrated in your bag. You glanced onto Minhyuk before shifting your eyes onto the screen. You received a message and noticed several pictures were sent to you. Truth be told, you asked for someone to check on Minhyuk regarding his daily life.

You scrutinized the pictures that were taken. He indeed looked different but what mattered most was that his smile was so natural around the same woman whom you saw. Her clothes were rather casual, the ubiquitous look that every university girls would wear. From first glance, you knew she came from a humble family. Her hair was short and straight, making her look adorable.

You bit your lower lip as you looked up to Minhyuk. You can shower him with expensive cars and branded gifts but what you couldn't give him was your heartfelt emotion for him. It just couldn't penetrate through because his heart belonged to someone else.

"The night view is beautiful if we see it at the rooftop. Should we go up there once we're done eating?"you looked at him earnestly, hoping he would agree.

He blinked his eyes and nodded reluctantly. "Sure."

--

After the dinner, you brought him up to the rooftop by the escalator. Up there, you could see the brightly lit skyscrapers, the vast sea and the bridge which emitted water at every point to produce such a pattern. You didn't find it beautiful at all because all you were concerned of was Minhyuk.

His eyes glued onto the beholding view before him, giving very less or even no attention to you. "Minhyuk,"you called him.

He turned his head slightly before shifting his body to face you. There was a distance between you two and it has always been like that from the start. You digged your nails onto your palm and bit your lower lip. You had to ask him all the questions which was left unanswered. That way, he didn't have to play with your heart.

"Are you happy?"you shot your head up.

Minhyuk squinted his eyes, rather flustered by your sudden question. You waited for his answer but he had no intention in moving his lips or even speaking up. You heaved a sigh.

"Can you stay there for a minute?"you asked him.

His eyebrows furrowed and his forehead creased. Before he could even decipher your motive, you ambled towards him and wrapped your arms around his slim waist. You could feel his body tensed up as he tried to pull you away but you hugged him even tighter. "Please stay like this for a short while,"you begged as tears started welling up in your eyes.

You closed your eyes and a tear dripped down from your cheeks and onto Minhyuk's tailored suit. "Go and run away with her,"your heart broke to million pieces as you said that out loud. You never wanted to leave him but how could you possibly hold onto Minhyuk if he doesn't want you? Perhaps, it was better to let go and find someone whom you're more suited for.

Minhyuk remained silent and you knew he was flabbergasted. "I can't make you happy. If you really love her, go and take care of her. We don't have to get married."

The embrace was so warm and you hated it because it felt like you couldn't let go of him when you needed to. "You don't have to act around me anymore. It's tiring for the both of us."

You pulled away and turned to show your back at him. If you looked at him in the eyes, you might even burst more tears and hold onto his hand. You clenched your fists and inhaled a deep breath.

"I'll count to five. If I still see you here, I have no choice but to take you back so please use this chance. I'm letting you free, Minhyuk."

You resist the temptation of letting your tears flow down like a river. It could have been better not to see him escape from you. Giving him the freedom he wants was the best option you could think of.

"One.."you started counting.

"Y/N,"you heard his voice.

"Two.."

"Thank you."

You felt the urge to turn around but you already heard the clip clopping of his footsteps and that was when it hit you hard. It was a one-sided love.