Girl Meets Romance

'How are you feeling right now?' Lucas asked Riley. It was eight p.m. and the rest of the group was eating dinner downstairs. Riley, who was exhausted after everything that had happened the past hours, preferred to lay down on her bed. Lucas had brought two plates of a pasta dish upstairs; one for Riley and one for himself.

'I'm fine, Lucas. Really', Riley replied. 'You can go ahead and eat dinner with everyone. I'm not much company at the moment. I'm very tired.' Lucas nodded. 'I know', the Texan boy said, 'but I want to stay.' He fed Riley a forkful of pasta. The girl giggled. 'I'm not sick or anything. I can get my own food', she told Lucas, who simply said, 'I like taking care of you.' Riley blushed. 'Don't you want to eat first, though? Your food is getting cold.' She lifted her arm and pointed at the untouched pasta on Lucas' plate. 'I'm good', he answered before bringing another forkful of pasta to Riley's mouth. 'I'm serious, Lucas', the brunette said, after having swallowed down the food. 'I don't want to spoil your evening.' 'You're not spoiling anything.'

They remained that way for a while, Lucas feeding his girlfriend, and occasionally chatting, before Riley told him she wanted to sleep for a little while. Lucas nodded. 'Of course.' He brushed away a strand of hair that had fallen across Riley's face, and put it behind her ear. He then leaned in and gave her a good night-kiss on her forehead. As Riley fell asleep, he whispered, 'I'll always stay with you.' He sat down on her bed, right next to her, and leaned his head against the wall. Before he knew it or could stop himself, he drifted off into a deep sleep, just like his girlfriend. When Riley's parents came to check on their daughter an hour later, they found the couple in the exact same position they'd been in.

'Should we- Do we allow this? A boy in Riley's bed?' Cory asked, only a little panicked. Normally, he would have completely freaked out, but when he saw the way his daughter was sleeping contently, with Lucas sitting next to her protectively, always keeping her safe, he felt calm. 'We do', Cory then said, answering his own question. 'We do?' Topanga asked, surprised, but in a positive way. 'Yeah. Look at them. Our daughter's safe. Lucas is a good guy.'

Topanga raised her eyebrows. 'Well, well, is Cory Matthews finally turning soft?' she said in a low voice, careful not to wake Riley or Lucas. 'Don't push it', her husband grumbled. Topanga smiled. 'Come on', she told him, nudging him out of the room. 'They look so peaceful. I don't want to wake them with our talking.'

'Am I really turning that soft?' Cory asked when they got back downstairs, where the others were watching a movie. 'Well...' Topanga began. 'A little, maybe. But you're still like a strong lion, Cory Matthews.' Cory snickered, remembering the phone call he'd had last year with Lucas. 'Come on, let's watch what's left of whatever movie they're watching', he said, nodding his head at the TV. 'We're watching the Lion King', Josh called out. Topanga immediately started laughing. 'Of course', Cory said, chuckling. 'Let's go then, Simba', Topanga said to him.

After the movie was finished, Farkle and Smackle stayed up for a little while longer, while the others all started preparing to go to bed. 'So...' Smackle said. 'Surfing, huh?' After the accident, Farkle had told her everything about the lessons he had started taking with Riley and Maya. 'Yeah', he said, sighing. 'Since when are you into surfing? Or sports in general?' Smackle asked him, frowning. 'I guess I just... I wanted to impress you, Smackle', Farkle replied. The girl shook her head, like she didn't understand what he was saying. 'Why would you want to impress me? You already got me, Farkle. I'm your girlfriend, remember?'

Farkle sighed. 'I know, I know', he said. 'But do you think it's easy for me to be in a house with Lucas, Zay and Josh, who all succeed instantly at whatever sport they try. I'm not like that. I only have my brain, and it's not like I can really show that off. They are all tall, muscular guys, and I'm... Well, I'm not like that, Smackle. I have never been that way.' Smackle bit her lip. 'That's not all, is it?' she said. Farkle shook his head. 'No. I guess I also... How do I say this? Um...' He took a deep breath. 'I am afraid that one day you realize other guys are way better than me. And I', not just talking about Lucas, or Josh, or Zay. I'm talking about pretty much every single boy out there. One day you're gonna realize you can do way better than me. I guess I thought that if I could be a little more like other guys, I might be enough for you. That's why I took the surf classes.'

'But Farkle', Smackle exclaimed, 'you are enough for me. You've always been enough. I want no one else. Not now, and not ever. Do you have any ideas how many times a day I ask myself how I could've gotten so lucky I get to be with you? 'Cause I ask myself that a lot! You are incredibly smart, sweet, and funny. I don't want a tall, muscular jock. I want you, Farkle. And only you. I mean, look at you. I think you're handsome, and what guy who completely despises sports starts taking surf lessons just to impress his girlfriend? That's the sweetest thing everyone has ever done for me, Farkle. You are amazing, and I hope that one day you'll see that too. I don't deserve you, Farkle.' Smackle then leaned in and pressed her lips against Farkle's. They both pulled away in shock almost immediately. They had only shared a kiss once before this one, because Smackle wasn't very comfortable with showing affection, and so she and Farkle took things slowly.

'Thank you', Farkle said, still a little surprised. 'For all that. Your kind words, and the kiss.' He knew about her Asperger Syndrome, and he also knew what a big gesture and step her kissing him had been. 'I, um, I kind of liked that', Smackle admitted shyly. 'Me too', Farkle told her, looking at his girlfriend lovingly. 'Can we... try that again?' Smackle asked slowly. 'Only if you are ready and want to.' Smackle nodded. Farkle took her hands in his, and smiled at her. They both started leaning in. The kiss didn't last long, but it was sweet, and made the butterflies in both of their stomachs flutter around. Afterwards, they just sat there together, Smackle's hands still in Farkle's, while they looked deep into each other's eyes.

Hi everyone :) I hope you liked the chapter. I felt like I had been neglecting the Farkle/Smackle relationship, so here's a Smarkle chapter. Thank you all so much for reading. And a special thanks to those who voted on previous chapters, and to those who added this story to their reading list. I wish you all an amazing day :)

Love,