Chapter 39

Maddy watched as Steve tears the bag open, off its chain.... spilling out sand, she watched as he straightened up, breathing hard...letting out 70 years of over repressed feelings.

She would much rather let out her feelings.... because she was completely exhausted, confused.... but more lost than anything.

After watching Steve take a few breather.... Maddy stood up and started walking towards him, she quickly picks up a punching bag... which was laying next to a row of punching bags, she hooks the bag up and begins to punch it.

Suddenly she heard footsteps.... walking towards her and Steve.

"Trouble sleeping?" A familiar voice said.

Maddy stepped away from the punching bag.... allowing Steve to take a couple of hits, she looked over at the figure that had walked in, and smiled.

"We've been sleeping for 70 years, Sir. I think we've had our fill," Steve replied.

"Then why aren't you both out celebrating? Seeing the world?" Fury said.

Steve stopped punching.... and walked over to the bench, unraveling the tape from his hands, Maddy looked down at her hands, and sighed... quickly unraveling the tape.

"When we went under, the whole world was at war..... we woke up, they said that we won. But they didn't say what we lost," Maddy sighed.

"We've made some mistakes along the way, some very recently," Fury frowned.

"Are you here with a mission, Sir?" Steve asked.

"I am," Fury said.

"Trying to get us back into the world?" Maddy questioned.

"Trying to save it," Fury replied.

Fury hands Steve a file.... Maddy walked over and looked over his shoulder.

"Hydra's secret weapon," Maddy mumbled.

"Howard Stark fished it out of the ocean..... when he was looking for the two of you, he thought what we think.... the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs," Fury said.

"Who took it from you?" Steve replied.

"He's called Loki. He's not from around here, there's a lot we'll have to bring you both up to speed on if you both are willing to be in... the world has gotten even stranger than you already know," Fury shrugged.

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise us," Maddy sighed.

"Ten bucks say you're wrong.... there's a debriefing package, waiting back at the apartment," Fury said.

Steve turns around and picks up a punching bag.... and started walking out of the gym, but stopped.

"Is there anything you both can tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?" Fury asked..... looking at Maddy.

Maddy sighed.... walking towards Steve, she stopped and turned around staring at Fury.

"You should have left it in the damn ocean," Maddy said.... shaking her head.

Maddy and Steve quickly walked out of the gym.... leaving Fury behind.