Chapter 75

Maddy and Steve were both disguised in civilian clothes...both walking the halls of the hospital.

Maddy looked around with such caution...

Steve stopped at a vending machine and quickly started looking in it.... Maddy followed his eyes and noticed he looked nervous.

"Oh. My. God! You didn't!" Maddy spoke up.

"I may have hid the flash drive in the vending machine.." Steve said.

"Steve! If Fury were alive right now he'd kill you," Maddy frowned.

"What I did was officially one of the stupidest things I have ever done," Steve replied.

Maddy looked through the window of the vending machine and noticed a familiar face.... she turned around and looked at Natasha who was chewing gum.

Steve huffed in anger and pushed Natasha in an empty room.... with Maddy soon following behind.

"Where is it?" Steve asked.

"Safe," Natasha smirked.

"DO BETTER!" Steve yelled.

"Where did you get it?" Natasha asked.

"Why would we tell you?!" Steve said, looking at Maddy for help.

"Fury gave it to you, why?" Natasha frowned.

"What's on it?" Maddy asked.

"I don't know," Natasha shrugged.

"STOP LYING!" Steve growled.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers," Natasha said.

"I bet you knew that Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Maddy questioned.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you," Natasha said.

"I'm not gonna ask again," Steve hissed.

"I know who killed Fury. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, you may know him as The Winter Soldier..... Maddy. He's credited over two dozen assassination in the last fifty years," Natasha said, pushing Steve off of you.... gently placing a hand on Maddy's shoulder.

"So he's a ghost story," Steve said.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff.... I pulled us out, but The Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me," Natasha paused, pulling up her shirt showing off a huge scar on her side.

"Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye bye bikinis," Natasha continued.

"W-Why didn't you tell me? You should have told me you've met him before," Maddy said.

"M-Maddy.... I couldn't, Fury ordered me not to tell you," Natasha sighed.

"I thought you were my friend.... but you've kept this huge secret from me! and what's worse is you acted like you've never even heard his name," Maddy frowned, turning away.

"You seemed so determined to finish your mission..... and you were so happy about your first solo mission," Natasha said.

"After two years of me tracking him down.... him trying to kill me hundreds of times, you still could've told me the truth! That's all I wanted!" Maddy said.

"Maddy, I wanted to tell you.... believe me, but it was against my orders," Natasha sighed.

Maddy's chest started to tighten.... her stomach started to twist and turn, she was facing the wall.... quietly crying.

She was living in a world where she couldn't trust anyone.... only herself.

She felt a large.... gently hand on her shoulder, she turned around and threw her face into their chest, and hugged them tightly.

"He was aiming for me, wasn't he?" Maddy asked pulling away... looking up at Steve.

"He might be.... and if he is, he won't stop until you are dead," Natasha said.

"He's your mission and you are his," Steve whispered.... just low enough for Maddy to hear.

"We should probably figure out what's on this drive and put a stop to The Winter Soldier," Maddy replied, wiping her wet face.

"Like you said Steve, he's a ghost story," Natasha smiled.

"Alright! Let's find out what this ghost wants," Steve said, locking arms with Maddy.

Maddy looked up at Steve and smiled.