39. Regrets

(Warning! Lime up ahead!) 

A soft breeze blew her hair out of her face, her exposed tiny arms prickling from the change in the weather. Birds chirped from the early morning. The sunlight felt so warm, a contrast to the cold air, only wearing a thin cotton shirt and pants. She could still feel the chilly air, making goosebumps run up her arms, but she didn't mind.

If anything, she lived for moments like these. Happy that she had them with him. Y/n hanged on tightly with only one finger intertwined with his. It became their thing, only connecting one finger with each other. They were both laying down, opposite from each other, heads touching from the top.

"Do you see that cloud up there, Y/n?" the little boy asked to the little girl who was very dear to him.

Both laying on the slight wet grass. They loved the smell of it, something they looked forward to when they could. They didn't mind, that at the end of their little escape their clothes would be damp. They liked to feel the tickle it would give them from laying on it for too long.

It was a different gentle feeling than what they were used to.

Giggling, Y/n nodded eagerly as her small finger held on to his. "Yup! It looks like a turtle!"

"What?! Nuh uh?" The boy giggled back from her answer, thinking she was being silly. "It's a rabbit." He stated plainly.

Y/n turned her head towards him with adoration, while he kept looking towards the sky. Not wanting to disappoint him, she nodded instantly.

"Oh? I see it now En, it's totally a rabbit!" She smiled brightly at him, she always loved to be by his side. He always made her feel warm and cherished.

They were practically joined at the hip at this point. They were only four years apart, but still so small and so malnourished from being in that place for too long. Their entrapment and hell.

Blushing from her excitement, the little boy turned his head towards the other direction mumbling how dumb she was being.

The sun shined down so brightly, with clouds passing them every now and so, as they both pointed out what they saw. It was rare moments like these they could enjoy with each other. Y/n wished she could take out Miguel with her, but he was still too young. Rosalinda was always with him, and when she wasn't, Y/n was.

Rosalinda would be who knows where, for long periods of time and Y/n never knew why. All she knew was that their captors requested her a lot.

When Y/n had a chance to sneak outside to look at the clouds with her best friend she would. He was the first friend she made after being kidnapped and smuggled out of her home country.

Being brought to this dark place.

He was the only one close to her age. Even though, she wished they hadn't met in these circumstances. And even if they both suffered, a selfish part of her was happy he came into her life. Everyone else was way older than her and would always treat her like an experiment.

Well, treated them both like experiments. They both found solace and comfort in one another.

"En, when we get out of here, can we chase the clouds?" Y/n asked eagerly to her best friend, her voice soft and small.

Afraid to lose him too.

He pushed himself from the ground and faced the direction of where her head laid, sitting crisscross and pulling her head into his lap. Being extra careful to not grab her with all five fingers and cause her harm.