Chapter 42: Family Argument

Clementine's POV:

Me, (Y/N) and Pete are walking together, Nick is somewhere peeing as we're walking towards the water stream to catch some fish that should be caught by some kind of fish traps.

Pete: How ya' both holding up? I heard you got an earful from Rebecca last night. Once she gets going there's no bringing her back. Her bark's worse than her bite.

Me: She's mean. I don't like her.

(Y/N): I don't like her as well.

Pete: She did come on a little strong.

We walk over a door that's being used as a bridge as I slow down to start talking to my best friend/crush (Y/N).

Me: How're you doing?

(Y/N): Fine I guess, my head feels a little numb.

Me: You better be okay.

(Y/N): I'm going to be okay, Clementine.

We catch up with Pete.

Me: How far are these fish traps?

Pete: It ain't much further.

I look at the rifle Pete is holding.

Pete: Anyone teach you two how to shoot? By that I mean taught proper. Any idiot with a finger can shoot.

Me: Our friend Lee taught us.

Pete: That's good. It's important nowadays.

(Y/N): Agreed.

Pete: Nick was about your ages first time I took him huntin'. Came across this beautiful 13-pound buck just standin' there on the ridgeline.

Pete aims his gun.

Pete: The boy takes the rifle... lines up the shot just like I taught him... (lowers rifle and looks at us) then I hear him start whinin'. He turns to me and he says "I can't do it. I can't shoot it, uncle Pete. Please don't make me shoot it."

Me: Really? No way.

(Y/N): Damn.

Nick: Hey!

We all stop and turn to see Nick run up to us.

Nick: Why didn't you wait?

Pete: You want us standin' around while you piss on a tree? You know where the river is, boy.

Me, (Y/N) and Pete start walking again as Nick soon follows.

Pete: Anyway, so I go to grab the gun out his hand before this big buck runs off when BANG! The gun fires. Boy nearly gut shot me. And of course the buck gets away.

Nick: What're you goin' and tellin' them this shit for?

We all stop again and turn back around to face him.

Pete: Cause you nearly blew (Y/N)'s face off yesterday. Seems relevant. Tryin' to let them know it's nothin' personal with you.

Nick: Why are you always giving me a hard time?

Pete: Because you're always givin' everyone else a hard time.

Nick: I apologised already. They accepted.

Pete: Ok, well I didn't know that.

Me: Yeah it's fine. He apologised.

Nick: You're always trying to embarrass me.

Pete: You're doing a good enough job of that on your own.

Nick starts to move forward to the river as he pushes past Pete.