You Have To Run

The world was different now. Everything had fallen apart. Everything we knew was gone... But my mother refused to believe that. She thought everything would be okay if we just waited it out. We were in our small house, in a bad neighbourhood. Every neighbourhood was bad these days, but ours was always out of place. Gangs and drugs riddled the streets, but I got used to it.

My ninth birthday was a month ago. I got to see my dad like I do twice a year. I'm not sure what he did in the time he wasn't with me or my mum, but I guessed it wasn't good. Whenever he visits, he treats me like a princess but him and mum always get into really loud arguments. He wants me to go with him, but the court won't let him. Especially since my mum made me stay quiet to everyone about how she acts when it's just me and her, which is a lot.

I didn't think I'd see my dad again. The streets were always filled with those creatures. Those creatures which used to be my neighbours, my friends, hell I even saw my mums usual drug dealer wondering around with a big chunk of his neck missing.

I sat on my bed with my book in my hand. My curtains were closed so I wouldn't have to look at the dead ones. I had my torch on, pointing at the letters on the page. I used to hate reading, but when I found that it could distract me from everything, I grew quite partial to it. As I scanned the words, I heard a noise downstairs. My head snapped in the direction of my door as my eyes went wide. 

Had they gotten in? 

I hid under my bed, not the best hiding spot but I had to make do. I heard running up the stairs and then my door flew open. "Ellie?" My dad's voice echoed through the room.

"Daddy?" I asked from under the bed, sliding half my body out.

He smiled, squatting down and lifting my body up. He held me in his arms tightly as I hugged him back. "I didn't know if you were okay or not." He whispered.

"Mum wouldn't let us go with the army. She said all we had to do is stay here and wait it out." I said, pulling back so I could see his face. That's when I noticed a bald man standing in my doorway. "Who are you?" I asked him.

"That's your uncle Merle, baby. Merle this is your niece." Daryl introduced us.

"Hey, kid." Merle smiled, I smiled shyly, pushing myself further into my father.

"Daryl Dixon. You cannot just break into my house without an explanation!" My mum yelled up the stairs as she pushed past Merle and into my room.

"My explanation is that we're saving your damn lives!" Dad shouted back. I covered my ears; I knew the routine. "You staying here would've cost you your lives in a matter of weeks! You're running out of food!"

"This won't last forever! It'll be fixed soon, like smallpox!" My mum crossed her arms over her chest.

"Just pack yourself a damn bag. We're getting you both outta here." My father lowered his voice.

"Right, cause going out there is a smart idea." My mum scoffed.

"Better than waiting around here." Merle stepped in.

"I ain't dying, Daryl." My mum warned.

"I know, I won't let that happen. Now, go pack a bag." Dad ordered. Begrudgingly, my mum went to go pack a bag and I removed my hands from my ears.

"And that is why you stay away from Spanish women." Merle said quietly.

"Shut up, Merle." My dad grumbled before turning to me. "You need to pack a few clothes, okay, sweetheart? We're going on a trip." Dad smiled softly at me.

I had my black backpack on my back, the straps attached over my chest and waist. I went camping once with my school, so I still had the bag. We stood by the backdoor, our small garden led onto a back alleyway behind a bunch of closed down stores. "There ain't many geeks round back. We can make a run for it and get to the car." Merle said.