The Interview

"They're still your guns. You can check them out whenever you go beyond the walls. But, inside here, we store them for safety." This Deanna woman spoke after Rick and Carl's interviews. We were putting our weapons on this trolley thing. I unclipped my belt and put it on begrudgingly, glaring at Deanna as I stepped away from it. "They'll be safe. I promise." 

She smiled at me. I nodded, hiding the fact I had a rather large knife tucked away in my bag. I watched mum as she rather pathetically took the machine gun off from around her head. I furrowed my eyebrows as I watched her act.

"Should have brought another bin." The woman- Olivia, I think- commented, dragging it away.

Deanna looked to me. "What's your name, darling?"

I didn't say anything. "Her name's Ellie." Sophia answered for me, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Well, Ellie. Would you like to go next?" Deanna offered. I glanced to Rick, he subtly nodded so I forced a small smile on my face and started walking towards her.

"Can I go with her?" Dad asked.

"There's no need for that, but you can wait outside. She'll only be a couple minutes." Deanna replied. We walked into some fancy living room looking thing. I sat in a very comfortable chair opposite a sofa with a video camera set up behind it. I sat in the chair, my left leg under me and my right on the floor... I was ready to jump if need be. "You mind if I record our chat, Ellie?" Deanna questioned, already turning on the camera. She sat on the sofa opposite me. "How long were you out there?"

"From the beginning." I replied, quietly.

Deanna nodded. "How did you meet the others?"

"Along the way... We had a group up in Atlanta... But, they're mostly dead now." I responded.

"Your father brought you to the group?" Deanna questioned.

"Along with my uncle Merle and Isabella." I answered.

"Isabella?" Deanna pushed.

"She gave birth to me." I muttered.

"And was your uncle Merle your father's brother?" Deanna's question made me nod. "What was Rick's relationship with his brother like?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What?"

"I was under the impression Rick is your father." Deanna leaned back in her seat.

"He's everything but biological." 

"So, who is your father?"

"Daryl. Guy who asked to come with me."

"How old are you, Ellie?"

"Ten."

"So, you were nine when this whole thing started?"

I hummed. "What gave you that impression?"

Deanna laughed quietly and nodded. "Can I ask... The scar... How did you get it?"

"Speedboating accident. Engine exploded. Debris got me." I lied, I wasn't about to dig into my mommy issues with some woman I didn't know.

"So, that was before the fall?" 

I scoffed and turned away. "Why are you bringing people in? How do you know we won't kill you in your sleep and rob you for all your worth?"

"Because Aaron trusts you. And, I trust Aaron. We need people like you to make Alexandria strong. We need people who have been out there." Deanna replied. "You've had to do a lot to survive. Have you killed anyone?"