The Prison

It'd been five months since Christmas which meant eight months since we left the farm. Nobody talked much anymore, all life was about was surviving, making it to the next day. Dad taught me how to use his crossbow, he taught me and Sophia how to shoot properly as well. I was already pretty good but now I was one of the best shooters in the group. Sophia wasn't so good with a gun, which is why she carried around a machete. On her belt dad had attached a machete holder thing and she could defend herself well now. Sophia had a growth spurt and was almost as tall as my dad now, so she could easily reach the height of most walkers just fine.

Rick had taught Carl to shoot too, he was also pretty good with a gun. Everyone had learnt how to defend themselves, apart from Lori because she was pregnant. I'd become closer with everyone but especially Glenn, Carl and T-dog who'd become like brothers to me. Sophia and Beth had become closer as well, and not to say I was jealous... But I was a little jealous. I did like Beth though; we were really close but not as close as her and Sophia.

We were taking a break from the four hours of straight driving. Hershel, Maggie, Rick and T-dog were looking over the map over the front of one of the cars. "Daddy, I need the toilet." I said to him.

"Me too." Sophia agreed.

"Alright, come on, girls." Dad said to us before turning to the others. "We'll be back now." 

Rick nodded. "Watch for walkers."

Dad led us out into the forest until we couldn't be seen by the others. He pointed to some bushes before turning his back. I went around the bushes but something else caught my eye. I abandoned Sophia as I walked a little farther into the trees. My feet hit train tracks and I walked along them for a little, that's when I saw it. A prison. It was large and there were probably about fifty walkers in the field that was surrounded by fences. I didn't realise how long I'd been standing there. "Ellie, you done? We gotta head back!" Sophia called.

"Yea, grab my dad and come here!" I replied, completely abandoning my need to use the bathroom.

Soon Sophia and my dad ran over to me and I pointed to the prison. "That's a shame." Dad said, commenting on the walkers.

"Should we show Rick?" Sophia asked.

"Why? It's overrun." Dad stated.

"We should tell him anyways." I insisted.

"Fine, I'll wait here. You girls go get him." Dad nodded.

I smiled at Sophia, and we ran back to the group. "Mother Goose!" I called to Rick as me and Sophia approached.

"You gotta stop calling me that." Rick laughed and shook his head.

"Uhm... No, no I don't think I will." I shook my head.

Rick sighed. "What do you want?"

"Come on, we gotta show you something that Ellie found." Sophia grabbed his hand and started dragging him through the forest.

"What did you find?" T-dog asked me.

"A prison." I replied. "It's overrun. Sorta. But figured we better tell the boss anyways."

Rick liked the whole prison idea so with bolt cutters, we cut a hole in the fence. We took out the walkers on the outside of the prison quite easily, whether we could take out the ones on the inside was a different question. We all went through the first fence; it was about seven meters wide of gravel going all the way along the prison before there was another fence which on the other side was the overrun field. Glenn and my dad sealed the hole with wire so no walkers could follow us through. We ran all the way along and went through the first gate before shutting it behind us, we were faced with an entry way to go into a watch tower and another gate which led into the main field.