The Betrayal

Me, Tara, Noah, Glenn, Eugene, Aiden and Nicholas were standing outside the van and making sure all our guns were good. We were outside this factory that we had to raid to get Eugene his thingy. "Looks like that's our way in and out." Aiden nodded to a door.

"We should know of all the exits first. So, there's a plan. In case things go south." Glenn suggested.

"Already got one. It's called going out the front." Nicholas answered, cockily. 

"Well, that is a terrible, terrible plan." I muttered to myself. Noah heard me and laughed quietly.

"Noah, heads up." Tara warned about a walker approaching. Noah turned and raised his gun, shooting the walker straight in the head. We all had silencers on our guns so the only noise was a small "pew" and the walker's body dropping to the floor.

"Look at you with the aim." Aiden commented with a smile. "Glenn's right. We should do a perimeter check. Know our exits just in case."

Tara went with Eugene. Nicholas and Aiden went together. I went towards Glenn and Noah. "Ellie, you go with Tara and Eugene. Tara will need the backup protecting Eugene if things go south." Glenn told me.

"Cause Eugene's useless?" I asked.

Glenn nodded and a small laugh escaped his lips. "Physically, yes." 

I shrugged. "See ya in a beat." I commented before running over to walk next to Tara. "You need the extra person cause Eugene can't defend himself against an unarmed baby."

"Ellie-" Tara started.

"No, Tara. The girl's right. I am a coward." Eugene nodded.

"Good, you're self aware." I nodded.

A couple minutes later and we came across a lone walker. "I got it." Tara said, pulling out her knife. She grabbed it by the shirt and held it at arms length before stabbing it in the head. I stepped over its fallen body as we kept walking.

"So you're aware, I'm on record as stating that I should not be here." Eugene said. "You well know that I'm not combat ready or even for that matter combat inclined."

"You never are till you are." Tara responded. "But you gotta start pulling your weight. You know I did."

"That's true. There was a period in time where I was convinced I was gonna gut you in your sleep. But, now you're cool, so it's chill." I chimed in.

"Oh, lovely." Tara nodded, before noticing the look on Eugene's face. "What?"

Eugene stopped which meant we all stopped which resulted in me rolling my eyes. "All things being equal, I do believe my weight's been pulled. I got you all to D.C, which in this man's opinion is damn near nirvana standards."

"Okay, I only understood like fifty percent of that sentence but from what I understand, you think you're useful. Which is bullshit. You didn't get us anywhere, Eugene. We got you here. We protected you. We did all the heavy lifting while you just tried to steal extra food from hungry kids." I ranted, trying to stop my voice from raising. 

"But were it not for me and my mention of this city's potential for home and hearth, not a one of you would've had the vision to come here, let alone the cojones to travail such a fraught and punishing pilgrimage.  And that, sister, is a fact. That's as cold and hard as they come." Eugene defended himself. 

"Okay, let's set the record straight, not Eugenius. I am not your sister, we have not fought together because you can't fight to save your life, literally. And, you didn't just mention this city, you conned Rosita, Abraham and all those other people into bringing you here, then you conned the rest of us. Are you really that much of a coward that you are still taking credit when people have spilt blood coming here?" I questioned, anger bubbling in my chest.