The Storm

Six months we'd been living with Alpha's rules. Six months since we found our people's heads on sticks. Six months since dad moved back into Alexandria. Six months since parents lost children, children lost parents, since Sophia lost Enid. For the first month, she'd barely talk. Barely eat. She'd be in bed all the time, but never sleeping. Dr Ackles had to put her on medication... The second month she was better. Throwing herself into training with her machetes and RJ's miniature lessons with a plastic sword. She was hyperactive, doing everything and anything. The third month was more normal. Sophia started to relax, deal with the grief a bit better. But, I knew she was still hiding the agony.

Mum and Ezekiel had basically broken up. Divorced. Whatever. The death of Jessie tore them apart. What happened to the Kingdom though? That made it worse. The Kingdom was falling apart structurally. It was too old. Past its time. It felt like just yesterday that Jesus was walking us through the walls. There was a massive snow storm coming in. It would devastate the Kingdom in a way that would force people to lose their lives. That's why Ezekiel and mum made the decision to lead their people away. Mama, Sophia, Carl and dad headed over to help. I had to stay back with RJ.

I was at Rosita and Gabriel's. They had one of the heaters on the table. They thought I was upstairs, constructing a crib for the baby. Which I was until I decided I was thirsty so I decided to head to the kitchen.

"It's dead." I heard Rosita say.

"Well-" Gabriel started, going behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist. "We could keep each other warm."

Rosita laughed. "The peanut's listening."

"Yea, so am I." I told them, finally announcing myself. Gabriel took a step back and cleared his throat. "Thank you, that's not something I need to see. Like ever. You hear me, padre?" As I spoke, I got a cup from the cupboard and poured myself a glass of water.

"Loud and clear." Gabriel nodded while Rosita just smiled at me.

The door opened and in walked Eugene with RJ being carried on his hip. He put the boy down who instantly ran to me. I let him hug my legs as I just put my hand on the back of his head. Eugene started being Eugene. "I did the systems check on the state of the array, as requested, RJ was not much help though. The solar panels are no bueno. Best bet is to go old school to keep toasty. I'd advice initiating winter one ice storm protocol."

Gabriel nodded. "The meeting room, the Tanner's house and Barbara's have the largest working fire places. We'll divide into those. I'll get the word out."

"We'll gather up dry firewood, stock up, get cosy and ride it out." Rosita nodded.

"We can't leave Negan." Gabriel stated.

"Why not?" I asked.

"He'll freeze down there." Gabriel told me.

"Yea, I know. That's why I don't get why we're moving him." I responded.

"Ellie, we've been over this. We can't kill Negan." Gabriel sighed.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine."

I was sitting by the fireplace with RJ and Archie. Archie was Frankie's three year old son. I'd been taking care of him more lately because ever since his father found out about his wife's death? He's been a bit of a mess. Let's just say RJ's bunkbed has been coming in handy a lot lately. Gary would never hit his son, I would've killed him by now otherwise, sometimes he's just not fit to care for a child. Especially a toddler. Archie was a chubby boy, dimples formed on the baby fat of his face when he smiled, freckles covered him from head to toe, he had electric blue eyes and the reddest hair I'd ever seen.