When One Chapter Ends

After the explosion, we didn't waste time. We jumped on the train and headed straight back to Alexandria. Of course we were going to go back to the Commonwealth to help everyone... But, we needed to see our families.

Safe to say that we were having a feast. We were all in mine, Sophia and Carl's house. The house that we all stayed in when we arrived in Alexandria. So much had changed since we first walked through that front door. Some good, some bad.

I never enjoyed hanging out with large groups of people, but everyone in that house was my family. All of them. From Mercer to Sophia, Carl to Charlie. I loved them all. Not everyone could sit around the dinner table, so I was in the living room with some people. Others were in the garden or spread around the downstairs in various places. Coco was on my lap, Rosita on my left and Sophia on my right. Also in our little area was my dad, mum, Eugene, Carl, Gabriel, RJ, Maggie, Glenn and Hershel.

"We need a polaroid photo." Glenn suddenly said when we'd been quiet for approximately three seconds. I couldn't look him in the eyes when he said that. I knew why he was saying it.

"One with everyone in the house or just us?" Hershel asked. His version of "us" was everyone in our little area.

"Your pick, buddy." Glenn smiled. I couldn't bare the thought of only having photos of him left.

"Both." Hershel decided. I passed Coco to Rosita.

"I'll get my camera." I said somewhat sadly. I headed upstairs before grabbing it, as well as two empty polaroids. I took a deep breath and composed myself before heading downstairs. "Hey, Jerry." I got him. "Do you mind taking a photo of us real quick? And then we'll grab one of everyone." 

"Sure, Ellie." Jerry smiled brightly. He was always smiling.

The first photo was quite easy to manage, however you try getting: Myself, Coco, RJ, Hershel, Sophia, Carl, dad, mum, Rosita, Gabriel, Eugene, Jerry, Nabila, Ezra, Aliyah, Glenn, Maggie, Ezekiel, Princess, Mercer, Finn, Charlie, Yumiko, Stephanie, Tomi, Ackles, Dianne, Connie, Kelly, Magna, Mrs Tanner, Ben, Lydia, Elijah and Dog all in one polaroid frame, have everyone smiling and looking at the camera. Let's just say three people were blinking, one was crying, four weren't looking at the camera, one was yawning and another was talking to the person on their left. Somehow though, it was still perfect.

We were all around the dinner table and the kitchen. Everyone was talking. Yumiko suddenly stood, tapping her fork on her wine glass. "Hey, everybody. A toast. To Luke."

Everyone raised their glasses. "To Luke."

A couple minutes later I over heard Glenn say something to Maggie. "Can we go outside for a minute? I need to talk to you."

She kissed his cheek. "Sure, honey."

"Can I come too?" Hershel requested.

"Not this time, buddy. Go pester your auntie Ellie." Glenn smiled.

Hershel shrugged. "Okay."

I didn't acknowledge the child who was talking to me about some comic book. I simply watched as Glenn escorted Maggie outside, presumably to deliver her the news. A tear slipped down my face, that's when I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Are you alright?" I heard Ezekiel's's voice. I saw him and Charlie looking at me.

I wiped the tear, and forced a smile. "I will be. I just... I don't want this to change."

Ezekiel nodded. "I get that, but sometimes, dumbass Ellie... Change can be a good thing."

I let out a breath. "Not always, king Ezekiel."

Charlie spoke next, changing the subject. "Have you talked to Finn yet?"