Eugenius

Me, Carl and Sophia were sitting in the back room. Michonne, Sasha, Rick, Bob and Gabriel went to raid the place the priest said was overrun. My dad and Carol went to find water. Maggie, Tara and Glenn went into town where there was a gun store... Chances were low of anything being there but you always gotta check. At the church, it was only me, Sophia, Carl, Eugene, Abraham, Tyreese and Rosita. Abraham and Rosita were fixing up the bus outside, Eugene said something about the germs and refused to help... Tyreese physically couldn't help because he apparently had no idea what to do.

"So, I'm sitting down. How'd the Eugenius out there survive?" I questioned.

"Before we tell you, don't get your hopes up. We don't know what could happen." Carl warned.

"Roger that, Harry Potter. Now, tell me." I tried.

"Eugene has the cure to walkers." Sophia stated.

My eyes widened, my eyebrows shooting to the top of my head. "Ya what, sorry?"

"Abraham and Rosita are on a mission to get him to Washington so he can do his science crap and fix all this." Carl told me.

I took a deep breath. "You're telling me that man with a mullet knows how to fix the world?"

"That's what he says. And, I believe him." Sophia smiled. 

I bit my bottom lip before laughing. "Our shit luck had to turn some time, right?"

"Language." Sophia teased.

"Well, she's right." Carl shrugged and Sophia nodded.

"So, he's alive because people have been protecting him?" I asked.

"People have given their lives in an attempt to get him to Washington. Now, it's our turn... To help. Not die." Carl told me.

"This is the best damn news I've ever heard." I smiled widely before standing up.

"Where you going?" Sophia questioned.

"To thank the man." I shrugged, before leaving the room. I found Eugene walking down the middle of the pews, coming in from outside. "Hey, Eugenius." I called, walking over to him.

He stopped dead in his tracks when he was three feet in front of it. "I get it. Because my name is Eugene and I'm a genius."

"Yea." I nodded, with a small laugh escaping my mouth. "I just wanted to thank you."

"For what?" The man deadpanned... He does that a lot.

"For knowing the cure. I don't need the details. Just... Thank you. The end of the world, it... It changed me in ways I want to forget. I'm not saying I want to go back to the scared kid I was before all this... I just want that part of me that died back. That part of me that wouldn't have shot and killed fourteen men to get revenge for a boy I knew for two months." I explained.

Eugene's eyes softened and he looked away from me. "Oh." Is all he could say.

"Can I hug you?" I asked.

"I suppose that is customary while giving thanks." Eugene nodded. I smiled before taking those few steps forward and hugging him around his middle. He let his arms hug down by his sides before slowly placing one on the top of my head and the other on my back. 

I stepped away from him again. "We'll get you to Washington." I nodded before turning back on my heel and walking back into the room where Sophia and Carl were.

"No, Sophia, pink is not my favourite colour. Just because you saw me looking at a pink shirt once does not mean it's my favourite colour and personality." I heard Carl scoff. I watched Sophia smile and laugh before I shut the door and sat back in my seat. "How'd it go?" Carl sighed, trying to change the subject.