Page 47

As the kids fell asleep we carried them up and put them in bed. I lingered in my sons bedroom doorway after they were settled. My mates went down to their beds. I thought they had but a slim arm slid around my waist drawing my eyes. Lifting an arm Alex slid against my side and I settled my arm lightly over his shoulders.

"Hi, I thought you went to bed."

"I had but you never came down. You alright?" He asked.

"No, but none of us are right now. Not really. We'll get there it's just going to take time." I looked at my sons.

"What is it? Worried about the boys?" He asked. I held tight to the sob and closed their door before I disturbed them.

"No." I pulled him in and buried my face in his hair. "Sons, five sons." I loved my kids, to a degree that I didn't even know how to describe.

"Before Iggy and I had mated I never thought of kids more than just a general idea that yeah I'd have them someday. But when Iggy and I found out about the triplets, then Emmy and Carissa. I was amazed, entranced. Completely in love with them. Then they were here. I could never get enough of them. I still can't. It seems just right to me to blow off work for my kids. I love them each so much. Four girls, four boys, plus Libby and Mark's twin sets. I love them all. Ness would have given me FIVE, five sons. Five sons that I won't get to hold, teach, love. Five sons that I won't get to see grow up, fall in love, have their own kids. I wanted them so much. But they're gone. Doc had asked me Monday when they were taking her, if I wanted the boys cremated separately."

"I didn't know that? What did you tell him?"

"No. I want them all together. They were a part of her, and I want them to stay that way."

"I'm so sorry Luke. I wish, we all do, that there had been something to do. We'd give almost anything to bring even one of them, Ness or one of the boys, back to you, back to us." I pulled back and knelt. Pulling up Alex's shirt to bare his round tummy I laid a kiss on it. He carried a girl. Our daughter. A sister for my other kids. "I love you little girl." I tell her quietly. Standing I scoop Alex into my arms. I head down to his bed. Honey and Libby are curled up together but neither are asleep. Looking over I see Don, Lucas and Angie asleep together. I slip Alex into his bed and kiss him thoroughly.

"Sleep. Our little girl will need you rested so you can help her grow. I love you." He smiles.

"I love you too." Honey and Libby turned over to cuddle with him.

"I love you two, as well." I say chuckling. I kiss them just as thoroughly. With them tucked in, I head for the other suite. Iggy and Emmy are spooned together. They were asleep. Lifting the blanket I slid in behind Iggy and slid my hand over his stomach. Twins, a boy and girl. Emmy carried a boy. I took a deep breath.

"Please goddess let me be enough and protect them all." I prayed. I'd had a thought to my tattoo. When the triplets had been just babies. I'd gone and gotten a tattoo started on my back. It was my name, mates names, all making up a tree. I'd made sure to leave lots of room for mates. Each of my kids were bright green leaves off of the names of the person who bore them. I needed to add my sons I'd lost. I'd add them as just outlines off Ness' name. For her I had thought to put a bloom on her name. I knew what it would mean. I'd wait until my children were born safely before adding the others. I had room to add Lucas, Angie, Libby and Mark. Adding their names I'd still have enough room to add another one or two. I wondered, did the eleven mates I was supposed to get, was that before or after Ness. Was she the twelfth? I planned on going this weekend to do it.

When I woke I went down fixed breakfast, saw my kids off to the bus, trying not to think that my table would have five less than I thought it would. That I'd have five less running to the bus waving goodbye. I head back inside when they are safely on their way. I stopped in the hall as I heard Alex's voice.