8

Chapter 8 Married

“To go also must go, so how do you go? If the mountain flowers are full of heads, don’t ask the slave to return to the place.” In the study, Zhao Luli repeatedly recited the poem “Bu Shouzi: Not Love the Wind and Dust”, his face was full tears.

He stroked the rough-cut magnolia hairpin with trembling hands, and his wife’s delicate face with tender smile appeared in front of his eyes. Suddenly, the smile turned into resentment and sorrow, as if accusing him of cowardice and incompetence. Zhao Luli felt a pain in his heart and never dared to recall the past. He wanted to put the hairpin in the secret compartment in the drawer but was reluctant to part with it, in the end he put it in a sleeve pocket and kept it next to him.

Thinking of the note sent by the palace maid, he showed a struggling and eagerness looks on his face, as if he was afraid of the unfeeling words written in it, but also afraid that he would miss the words that his wife finally sent out. Without thinking about it for long, he slowly and carefully unfolded the note. The first sentence made him feel painful and regretful, and it was difficult to hold on to himself.

“My dear Chen Guang, you probably surprise seeing this letter. The day before yesterday, my mother told me that Xi’er is almost coming of age. Suddenly I realized that time has slip away, and the years were merciless. In a blink of an eye, the blue sea has turned into mulberry fields and cannot be recalled. Xi’er’s big marriage still needs the  mistress’s management. My mother-in-law misunderstood me deeply, afraid her heart won’t be in it. In desperation, I can only consent you to remarry. Wangshu is young and needs the care of a mother. I only regret for my weak temperament in those years. I actually harmed you and harmed the child because of momentary slip. I wish you will forget the past and move forward…… of course, the wedding date is approaching, and my heart aches unbearably…… I never forget and not dare to forget the vows back then. Are you with me in this heart?”

There were only a few hundred characters, Zhao Luli looked and looked again, read and read again. His heart momentarily joyful, momentarily regretful, momentarily surged with love, and the expression on his face became extremely twisted and tangled. When he was immersed in his endless thoughts, he did not notice that his daughter had been standing at the door for a long time. She came and left quietly, walked to Chui Hua Gate and said softly, “Give my dad a pot of hot water to wipe his face, and put it on his eyes. Today is his happy day, don’t let the Guan family see it that he has cried.”

The servant in charge of guarding the study repeatedly promised and went down quietly.

Thinking of the sudden wealth of Guan family, Zhao Chunxi’s expression darkened. She thought that this time she could get rid a strong enemy for her mom and find a puppet for herself that was easy to control in Marquis Zhenbei Mansion, but she didn’t expect that the emperor would suddenly put the Guan family’s father and son in high positions, disrupting her overall plan. With a strong and powerful backing, it would not be so easy to exploit Guan Suyi later.

But soon, she laughed in a low voice. So what if she was a Peerless Beauty? So what if she was full of talents? After all, she was no match for her mom’s charm. Even if she enter the palace and become the emperor’s person, as long as mom passed a few words casually, mom would be able to make dad desperate. She didn’t know what her mom wrote in the letter, anyway she wouldn’t let Guan Suyi have an easy time in the Marquis Mansion.

“Let’s go, it’s time to set up the wedding banquet. That old thing seems to be very happy today? I don’t know if she will be able to laugh in a few days.” Zhao Chunxi took two steps quickly, her tone was harsh.

The maid knew that the old thing she was talking about was not someone else, but her grandmother, Sun shi, so she didn’t dare to answer the conversation, she just pretended not to hear anything, and bowed her head to lead the way.